Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Streaming from BBC

This is a discussion on Streaming from BBC within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I wonder if users could help me out with a streaming problem from the BBC web sites. Until recently I ...

mrmond is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Streaming from BBC

I wonder if users could help me out with a streaming problem from the BBC web sites.
      Until recently I could use windows media player to stream bbc click and other news items (bbc news etc) but now they will only stream if I use realplayer.
      News 24 works but newsnight doesn't

Now I am trying to find out if its some kind of server problem at the bbc end.
      4 weeks ago I had the same problem.
      windows media stream wouldn't play in XP, linux or via wifi on my phone which uses wm10 pocket.

On linux as well they would stream if the realplayer stream was selected.
      I emailed bbc click and they said nothing was wrong with the servers.
      However last week (and not having changed any settings or installed any updates) the stream for WM started working again. On linux too so it is certainly not OS releated.
      Today I went to watch click and no go. Incidentally some users on a forum for the commons web stream also report being unable to watch streams in media player but relaplayer works ok.

could users try a quick test by just going to the bbc click web site and seeing if it will play with WM in the preferences tab.
      I would like to see how wide spread the problem is before contactibg the BBC again.

Ray

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Streaming from BBC

I'm seeing the same thing as you. Real streams seem to work just fine, but with WM streams, the plugin just sits there saying "Connecting to media..." but never actually appears to do so. Trying to play in a stand-alone player gives the same result - fine for Real, nothing with WM.

Well. apart from News 24, which seems to work fine in both Real and WM, just as you observed.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am now wondering if this is a sky problem.
      I normally have a direct connection to my router but if I use my wireless card to connect to someone else router (linksys) the stream plays.
      Only if I try to stream it over the sky network thru my own router does it fail.
      Can anyone who hads problems with windows media stream see if they can try with a different router to the netgear (or even try it with someone elses connection) to prove that sky is somehow blocking the stream.
      I have tried disabling the router firewall to see if thats the problem but it makes no difference.

Thanks. Ray

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

is anyone else able to confirm if this is the case ?
      streaming ok with another router or provider but blocked when using sky ?

Ray

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It's funny you should bring the subject up again, because WM streams from BBC seem to be working absolutely fine for me. I have to say, it seems rather unlikely that Sky would be deliberately blocking a particular type of video streaming from a particular organisation. I mean, why would they do that? And even if they were, why not block News 24 as well?

A more probable explanation is that the BBC are using two different companies to host their Real and WM streaming services, and that there was some kind of transient technical issue with routing to the WM streaming service provider.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I must check this out more. I'm still getting the constant connecting to media message as you did. There must be an simple explanation. Spoke to a friend of mine today who isn't on sky and he gets the same problem.

Curiouser & Curiouser

Update: Just used the option to revert my router to factory default setting and the streaming worked !
      Strange things is that when I restored to cfg file that I made just beforehand the streaming still works.
      Next time I'm gonna have to do this first.
      Last edited by mrmond; 02-12-07 at 11:50 PM.