Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Very low sync rate

This is a discussion on Very low sync rate within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all ordered sky broadband connect and for whatever reason it seems to not want to sync at more that ...

Jamesgutt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01983
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Very low sync rate

hi all

ordered sky broadband connect and for whatever reason it seems to not want to sync at more that 288Kbps up or down. Ive tried plugging it into the test socket and there was no change.

Very low sync rate-adsl.jpg

Is it likely that sky have capped the connection speed? or is it because of the high noise margin?

thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Very low sync rate

Sky Connect has a training period during which time the connection rate will rise and fall looking for a stable rate. During the first 10 days you should reboot your router once a day to allow it to resync with the exchange. Your present sync rate does look very low so try this. Push a biro into the little hole at the rear of the router and hold it there for about 10 seconds. This will force it to resync at a higher rate. If this does not work, unplug the power from the router for 40 minutes, then plug it in again. This may help kick up your connection speed. If these don't work, you will have to phone Sky and tell them that you are having problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jonny1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Beg to differ, ur line is capped either by sky or BT due to a previous provider on the line. Call tech support, this can be investigated on first call. Insist you want to wait to talk to a CST agent after calmly following the tier 1 troubleshooting fully. It may be frustrating but the questions they ask you are important no matter how trivial they sound
      It doesn't get better than this band lol

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sky Connect has a training period during which time the connection rate will rise and fall looking for a stable rate.
      Yeah, that bit's wrong. The sync speed isn't driven by the training process, it's the other way around. The router will connect at the fastest speed it can for the line conditions, provided the connection isn't capped. The BRAS profile should be set at a level just below the sync speed, but you can't tell what that BRAS profile setting is by looking at the router stats. You can even get situations where the BRAS profile gets stuck at, say 2Mbit/sec, while the router is connecting at 8Mbit/sec. The only thing you'll notice is that you can't download any faster than 2Mbit/sec.

jonny1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

if u call sky and be honest about the setup they can request that bT restart the dslmax calculation process, will begin at 135k but with constant connection should rise with a constant connection of 72 hours
      It doesn't get better than this band lol

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well phoning them now lol he has an error on screen and he is having a slow connection.

had to rephone after i had changed a microfilter now i just phoned and they hang up grrr

just spoke to actual helpful member of there support team who after no silly questions was going to put me through to the higher support team, if that system there end wasnt down so have to call later in the day.

thanks for the help guys
      Last edited by Jamesgutt; 28-11-07 at 10:56 AM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sounds like a system issue, if one operator was getting errors and your next call disconnected. Give it 10 mins and call back, they normally sort these issues quickly as dead CS/ TS phone lines make them no money

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well 4th call today

they say i have to wait for the 10 day period to be over before i can get the issue escelated. Apparently my line can only take a 512Kbit connection, but according to various other sites i should be able to get 4Mbit.

Im going to get hold of an adsl router tomorrow and see if i can use the bt adsl test account and sync at a higher rate, to rule out a dodgy router.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are being messed about. Waiting 10 days will make no difference if nothing is done in the meantime.

Im going to get hold of an adsl router tomorrow and see if i can use the bt adsl test account and sync at a higher rate, to rule out a dodgy router.
      You need the hidden username from the router to access this service. So it is another thing that is not available to users with the new router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

10 day training period is unfortunately something that we are told to state for connect users but to be honest with stats that bad you need escalating sooner rather than later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast