Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why are we all not on ADSL2+

This is a discussion on Why are we all not on ADSL2+ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As all exchanges have had a recent software upgrade in which SRA has been implemented, why are sky not putting ...

aavid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: widnes
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Why are we all not on ADSL2+

As all exchanges have had a recent software upgrade in which SRA has been implemented, why are sky not putting us all on ADSL2+ ?. I believe that most all lines would benefit using this technology. Most of us would also get a speed increase.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Why are we all not on ADSL2+

Sky are implementing SRA? Really? That's rather big news that's passed me by. Where did you read/hear that?

If SRA is implemented (which would make Sky one of the few ISPs in Europe to do so) then yes there may be a case for more customers to be on ADSL2+ but if not, no, I don't believe that either "most all lines would benefit" or that "most of us would also get a speed increase".

ADSL is a line length and line quality dependant technology. ADSL2+ can only offer a speed increase on low attenuation (~<38db), good quality lines. That hardly includes the majority of customers.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Most of us would also get a speed increase.
      With an attenuation of over 63 dbs, I doubt if you would be one of the 'most' even if this were true.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      If SRA is implemented (which would make Sky one of the few ISPs in Europe to do so) then yes there may be a case for more customers to be on ADSL2+ but if not, no, I don't believe that either "most all lines would benefit" or that "most of us would also get a speed increase".

ADSL is a line length and line quality dependant technology. ADSL2+ can only offer a speed increase on low attenuation (~<38db), good quality lines. That hardly includes the majority of customers.

I beg to differ. Many of us on longer lines would have the benefit of being able to get a better speed during daylight hours.
      Last edited by Saturday; 27-11-07 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aavid View Post
      Hmm. One person reports it (using a Billion router) and no one else that I can see either there or on this forum. SRA capability already sits on the current and new Sky routers AFAIK. If it was turned on with new DSLAM firmware I'd have thought we'd have seen a few more reports by now. Certainly not evident in my Sky router or my Linksys. Hope you're right though and no-one else has spotted this for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by aavid View Post
      I beg to differ. Many of us on longer lines would have the benefit of being able to get a better speed during daylight hours.
      Many, no. Few, yes. This would only benefit people who were on the cusp between ADSL2+ and G.DMT performance and only, as I said before, once SRA is up and working. With your attenuation you're nowhere near that point. A line length of ~4.6km (63.5db on a Sky router on G.DMT) gives you a maximum of ~3000kbps (stable) on any current ADSL technology.
      Last edited by Saturday; 27-11-07 at 04:54 PM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I agree with Saturday that there's not much point in putting everyone on ADSL2+. If your line is only capable of 8Mbit/sec, then there will probably not be much usable bandwidth beyond 1.1MHz.

However, there is a case for using ADSL2 in preference to G.DMT. It operates over the same frequency range as G.DMT and has better error handling than G.DMT amongst other enhancements. The only likely impediment is that with the deficiencies in the current V1 firmware, it's possible that ADSL2 will expose more customers to those deficiencies than G.DMT current does.

jonny1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Um sorry to put a damper on this but adsl2+ is far less stable, so on a long line u would have such an unstable connection u would be begging to go back to adsl. 63.5 just be happy with getting a broadband service, it's never happening
      It doesn't get better than this band lol

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I wouldn't say ADSL2+ is far less stable. Operating over a wider range of frequencies does give greater scope for interference, but with a long line, there will be very little data if any assigned to the channels about 1.1MHz anyway. As a result, the performance between ADSL2 and ADSL2+ will be indistinguishable, and ADSL2 is supposed to be more robust than G.DMT and probably would be if Sky were fnally to deliver the fixed router firmware.

jonny1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

believe me, the amount of lines that can potentially hold 14megs but cannot eliminate errors then get set to g.dmt ie. 8-9meg down and are sorted would shock u.
      It doesn't get better than this band lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast