Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why are we all not on ADSL2+

This is a discussion on Why are we all not on ADSL2+ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; No I do believe you, the frequencies in the 1.1Mhz to 2.2MHz range that ADSL2+ uses (in addition to the ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Why are we all not on ADSL2+

No I do believe you, the frequencies in the 1.1Mhz to 2.2MHz range that ADSL2+ uses (in addition to the range up to 1.1MHz that G.DMT and ADSL2 use) is much less stable with per-channel signal to noise ratios fluctuating quite a lot. But it doesn't mean that ADSL2+ is somehow a "broken" ADSL standard - it's simply exposing the deficiencies in the current router firmware more.

2. Advertisement
      aavid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: widnes
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have heard enough, why then is BE making all their
      connections using ADSL2+ and I quote

" all of our connections are using ADSL2+, and the speed is increased with it.*

Surely if they can do it so can Sky

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well the "speed is increased" comment is a bit like "up to 24Mbit broadband" thing. In other words, prepare to have you expectations dashed. Sure, if you live close to the exchange, you'll get a dramatically increased speed with ADSL2+. If you live further away, the speed increase will be marginal.

Sky's problems basically boil down to two things. Firstly, they chose to use Globespan DSLAMs rather than the more widely used Alcatel ones. I'm not sure if there is an inherent problem with Globespan DSLAMs, but the fact that they are less widely used means that ADSL modems and routers inevitably have had less testing and in-field feedback with them than with Alcatel DSLAMs. Secondly, and perhaps more seriously, they chose to send out those damned Netgear routers. Some people rave about how wonderful Netgear kit is, but I don't see it myself. In all honesty, they're nothing special. And with Sky's out-of-date, customised firmware on them, they're just appalling. They don't bit swap as they should, they don't retrain as they should, they are basically just broken.

Let's be clear about this. The people who designed the ADSL specifications knew from the beginning that they were attempting to send signals over telephone wires that were never intended to carry such signals. They knew there would be interference and noise, and they designed the specs to cope. If the DSLAM and the router are working as they should, no-one should need to reboot their router, no-one should have to fiddle around with their internal wiring to try and stop their connection freezing several times a day, and Sky wouldn't have to force connections down to lower speeds than the router would otherwise negociate, or force a connection onto G.DMT when the router would otherwise negociate an ADSL2+ connection. Sky's ADSL implementation is, in a word, broken, and many of the issues that people write about on this forum are problems which they should never have encountered in the first place.

If Be had been available at my exchange, I would seriously have considered using them in preference to Sky. The only thing Sky have got going for them is that they are damned cheap, if you're already a Sky TV subscriber.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aavid View Post
      why then is BE making all their
      connections using ADSL2+ and I quote

" all of our connections are using ADSL2+, and the speed is increased with it.*

Because it's an advert? Because some customers will get higher speeds on ADSL2+ than on most other ISPs because most ISPs just rebrand BT ADSL Max - but this would only be true if they have a short, high quality line.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble believing this but try Googling for ADSL performance graphs. You'll find that the performance characteristics between ADSL2+ and all other forms of ADSL becomes near identical once the line length reaches ~3.8km. So, ADSL2+ offers no speed advantage over (say) G.DMT on long lines.

Stability should also be identical but as been discussed in this thread and probably 100 times over the months in other parts of the forum, of Sky's two ADSL modes, G.DMT has proven to be far more stable/reliable than ADSL2+ on long or problematical lines on the Sky network. This is probably down to the current router firmware and/or the DSLAM. It is also worth noting that Sky's LLU G.DMT is a late revision and shares many characteristics with ADSL2 (note no plus). This may also have some bearing on why it performs the way it does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12