Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

losing connection

This is a discussion on losing connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ^^ i think the sky router may some of the problem (but not all) could you confirm which package you ...

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: losing connection

^^ i think the sky router may some of the problem (but not all) could you confirm which package you had before (just as a thought, there are a lot of people who used to have 2meg connections and seemed to have no problem, but when put higher the errors are much more drastic as to cause problems)

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      ...there are a lot of people who used to have 2meg connections and seemed to have no problem, but when put higher the errors are much more drastic as to cause problems)
      Just the point I was going to make. If your previous provider capped your line at 2Mb and you had no problem then Sky could no doubt do the same. However they are connecting you at over 5Mb at the moment. The faster your connection is set, the more the noise margin goes down and the noise on your line would appear to be causing a problem at this speed.

andothfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky got back to me and, it looks they've now capped my line (at around 3.5m). The stats look better - LOS down to 6 for the last 24 hours.

The real test is the girlfriend. She's a poker pro and needs a reliable connection to play. Random dropouts are frustrating when surfing but they are very costly when trying to play poker. We'll see.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

don't expect sympathy from Sky if you lose money betting - it's a consumer connection and losing money is no concern of Sky's....just so you know
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Gwawr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01633
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: losing connection

I am moving to Sky from BT - if I can sort out the dropped connection and email problems.
      I still have my BT conection as I have two lines coming in to my house at the moment. My connection with BT has only dropped a couple of times in all the time I have been with them. My Sky connection drops constantly. The two lines have different numbers but come in to the house on one wire.
      My desktop (XP)is still connected with an ethernet cable to the router, my laptop (Vista)is wireless enabled. The connection speeds and the continually dropped connection are the same on both machines

I am a fair way from the exchange and therefore can only connect at 484 kbps download, 243 upload with BT (although they say they are connecting at 576 kbps)
      My connection with Sky varies between 233 - 332 download, and is a steady 348-9 upload (I always thought upload speed was slower than download?)

Running xp diagnostic I get pages of info, perhaps the following are the most relevant?
      This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.0.1
      This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.0.2
      Hostname Microsoft Corporation could not be resolved (Error code 0x2afc). Could be either gateway or DNS issue
      The default route is valid
      The loopback route is valid
      The local host route is valid
      The local subnet route is valid
      Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.
      Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
      Network connection: Name=test, Device=Best Data Data Fax Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
      Network connection: Name=Freezone, Device=Best Data Data Fax Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
      Network connection: Name=BT Broadband, Device=BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem, MediaType=ISDN, SubMediaType=NONE
      Ethernet connection selected
      error Could not make an HTTP connection.
      error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
      error Could not make an FTP connection.

I am a "silver surfer" so if you can help me please keep it simple!

Gwawr

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

could you post your detailed stats (see link in my sig)
      not sure i will be able to all that much but would be interested to them

also i did not know you could get 2 BB connections on one line

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The two lines have different numbers but come in to the house on one wire.
      I think although they may be in one cable, there will be 2 wires for each connection.

The main problem is with the difference in technologies between BT and Sky. With BT you will be on a fixed 2 MB connection, with Sky you will be on their LLU which works in a different way. The crux of the matter is that Sky's service requires a good connection to operate smoothly whereas BT's is a lot more forgiving.

The first thing you should do is connect the Sky router direct to the Test socket, behind the master socket faceplate. This will eliminate any problems with your internal wiring. See how it runs when connected in this way.

I would also advise you to use one of your PCs for the Sky connection and the other for the BT one, until such time as it takes to sort it out properly. This means you should uninstall everything connected to BT from the PC you want to use for Sky. This will eliminate any conflicts which may occur.

You should also download and install TCP Optimiser Read the instructions carefully and this will ensure that your PCs are fully optimised for the connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

andothfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      don't expect sympathy from Sky if you lose money betting - it's a consumer connection and losing money is no concern of Sky's....just so you know
      Trust me, my expectations of Sky are about as low as they can be. I'm pleasantly surprised when one of the CS team manages to get through a call without talking to me like i'm an errant chld.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234