Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

losing connection

This is a discussion on losing connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Molyvos Down Up SNR (dB): 10.4 14.0 Attn(dB): 63.5 31.5 Pwr(dBm): 17.6 11.8 Max(Kbps): 2816 704 Rate ...

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: losing connection

Quote Originally Posted by Molyvos View Post
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 10.4 14.0
      Attn(dB): 63.5 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 17.6 11.8
      Max(Kbps): 2816 704
      Rate (Kbps): 2048 416
      Your SNR and Max Kbps have both improved even further since you replaced the original faceplate and you should get now get a consistent 2Mb connection. I do not think you would gain any advantage by replacing the faceplate from those stats.

2. Advertisement
      Molyvos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My wife has been on the net most of the afternoon (since removing the terminal 3 wires in the BT master socket) and is very impressed with the 'new' speed. Better still, the connection hasn't been down once. Problem solved I think

A very big thank you for all the help and advice. Don't know what I would have done without it.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I may have jumped the gun slightly with my previous post.

Everything did seem perfect, but when I made a phone call later the internet connection went down immediately. A quick look at the stats showed the SNR had dropped to 5.6. On finishing the call, the SNR crept back up to over 8 and the internet connection came back. We experimented with another call shortly after and the same thing happened again. Will the filtered faceplate correct this, or is there something else I need to look at? There are filters in both extension sockets.

Thanks

^^^ Sounds like could be a faulty filter. Try swapping them over if you have 2 and see if that changes anything. You don't have any "forgotten" extensions like a Sky TV box unfiltered do you?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

The Sky adapter is inserted into one of the extension filters, and the phone is then put into the adapter.

Before making the second call I had actually removed the Sky adapter and inserted the phone directly into the filter. I had also replaced the filter with another one (I was still using the filters supplied by AOL, so have the three supplied by Sky as spares).

Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Molyvos View Post
      Thanks for the reply.

The Sky adapter is inserted into one of the extension filters, and the phone is then put into the adapter.

Before making the second call I had actually removed the Sky adapter and inserted the phone directly into the filter. I had also replaced the filter with another one (I was still using the filters supplied by AOL, so have the three supplied by Sky as spares).

Is there anything else I should check?
      If by the Sky adapter you mean the plug that Sky installed to run an extension to your Sky TV box then I think I know what your problem is - I have seen this before!

Plug the Sky extension cable DIRECTLY into your telephone socket, then you need an ADSL filter in both ends of the Sky extension. See if that works!

forcedinduction666 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

And of course make sure all the phones in the house go through a functioning ADSL filter.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

This problem of when the phone is used the noise margin drops.
      I had the problem not too long ago, i phoned sky about this problem and it was sent to their BT department, and BT replaced the Tie Pairs at the exchange and this sorted the noise problem when the phone was used.
      The Teir 3 chap told me that the problem was exactly the same as another customer had.

So this could be the cause of the problem, it worked for me.

Hope this is of so help.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again.

After replacing what I think (after a bit of trail and error) was a faulty filter (are these prone to failing?) the SNR improved last night from around the low 7 mark to over 9, but then dropped back to around 8/8.5. Making a call dropped it further to around 5.5/6, but I didn't lose the internet connection on this occasion, so maybe all is well now?

I still tried the suggestion re: the Sky extension (which has a double phone socket at one end and a single at the other for the box).

SNR improved to 10.1 initially, then dropped back to around 8.5. I then changed back to the previous configuration (with extension into a filter into the fixed socket). SNR initially went to 9.5, then dropped back to around 8/8.5. Switched back again and the SNR settled around the 8/8.5 level.

Not quite sure what all this means, but think I need to test over a longer period, particularly a weekend. I did note that whatever configuration I use (with or without the Sky extension), the SNR always drops a couple of points or more when a call is made. Is this usual?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your SNR should not drop when you use the phone. I agree with an earlier contributor who suggested you have a line fault. I would phone Sky and explain to them that your connection drops when you use the phone. Also explain that you have tried from the Master socket and also used different filters and the result is the same. Depending on who you speak to, they will either order a line test from BT, which should show up any fault with the line, or take the delaying route of sending you a new router, which will do no good whatsoever. Make sure the router is plugged in to the Master socket, through a filter, when the tests are made.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast