Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ethernet problem with new router - help please!

This is a discussion on Ethernet problem with new router - help please! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yesterday was activation day. I plugged everything in, with a green light on the ethernet port, and opened Internet Explorer, ...

SonicTPA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ethernet problem with new router - help please!

Yesterday was activation day.

I plugged everything in, with a green light on the ethernet port, and opened Internet Explorer, and tried to connect to the new netgear router.

But nothing would open. So I ran the sky cd. (it seems to crash when you exit). It creates a sky broadband icon, which I double clicked, and everything worked.

This morning, I turned it all on, and got onto the internet. But after a while, some pages wouldn't open. But all the lights were on. I tried to get into the netgear router again, but it wouldn't open. So I turned the router off and on again, and I got a message to say that a network cable was unplugged.

And after that, no matter what I did, I can't get ethernet to work at all. I've checked the cable by plugging both ends into the router. I've tried rolling back the driver for the SIS 900 adapter. I can't find anything to say that it's not working.

It looks like I need to do whatever the sky cd did to get it working again, but I can't work out what that would be?

Any ideas??

Sonic

2. Advertisement
      narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Ethernet problem with new router - help please!

You may have a faulty Sky router which is quite common it can happen from time to time.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm still researching into other possible areas of 'fault', but if I don't find anything then I guess all eyes will be on the router!

The_Insider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This can be caused by a couple of things (from my experience, 12 years I.T)....

1st - Check your NIC card drivers. If your using Windows XP check to ensure you are using the card manufacturers drivers. Windows driver have been known to go haywaire in the past and work intermittently. Downloading up-to-date drivers for your card should rectify this.

2nd - OnBoard NIC. Some PC's come with 'onboard NIC'. These are usually situated near the USB ports on the back of your PC. These are known to fail on Motherboards fairly quickly and can cause network connection failures. You can purchase NIC cards relatively cheaply (around a fiver) from local shops or high street vendors.

Routers can go 'bonkers' but check your PC before you start on the router, I've seen this happen many times previously so would suggest you try a NIC card 1st.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

After spending several hours searching the internet, it seems that this is quite a common occurence for the SiS 900 ethernet adaptor, that is built in to several motherboards.

There are several threads in several forums where people report this problem, but no one seems to have found an answer. Microsoft even mention it in their knowledge base.

I've found some more drivers, which I shall try. If that fails, then it's a new NIC card.

S