Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using 2 Wireless routers?

This is a discussion on Using 2 Wireless routers? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Firts off great site and hello to all! I have done a search on this and unable to find any ...

ezdub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Using 2 Wireless routers?

Firts off great site and hello to all!

I have done a search on this and unable to find any real answer, hope someone maybe able to help.

I am using my old wireless router a BT Voyager 2110 as my main router for internet access (As I like it lol), but I get a lot of noise on the line upstairs in the house. So I have decided to put it downstairs next to the main telephone point which I have tested and the speeds are better and line noise is much less.

now where the problem is I have 6 PC's upstairs in the office on a wired network and dont really want to get wireless adaptors for them.

What I would like to to do is use my sky router as wireless access point, but I have been uable to do this.

I know it can be done using a cable (from the bt router to the sky router if the was poss hen I would just wire it to the hub prob solved), but I want to do it wireless so I can use the lan port on the sky router to my GB hub and then on to the PC's.

I have no way of running a cable from the BT Router to the the upstairs

I could get a wireless etnernet bridge but I would like not to have to spend any money on one if poss.

So if anyone knows if this is possible could you let me know.

Thanks for help in advance.
      Cheers

Ezdub.
      Last edited by ezdub; 22-11-07 at 02:28 PM. Reason: change

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Using 2 Wireless routers?

I dont think it is possible, Even so, You could possibly get conflicts (IP, Ports), You mentioned that you didnt want to spend money, But would like the wireless, but not wireless, (if that makes sense), What you could try is a Wallplug (Is that what you meant by a a Bridge?).

They are fairly cheap and that way you can keep then all the Office PCs networked via Ethernet.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks,

It's not so much the money just would like to use stuff I have more than spend more money.

I looked at the homeplug system, but have 3 ring mains in the house ( it's an old house) and the one's I have tried all had to be returned as the just would not work.

From what I've looked at is you can get a wireless bridge belkin and a few other make them, which has a wireless bridge to the router but has a lan port on the back for hook up to ethernet.

The main reason for having the PC's upstairs wired together is for fast file transfer rather than the internet, but I still want them to have internet access.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ezdub View Post
      What I would like to to do is use my sky router as wireless access point, but I have been uable to do this.
      Well, your Voyager is the wireless access point. What you want is to configure the Sky Router as a bridge.

This might be possible, but only if you reflash the Sky router with the latest Netgear firmware. (You have to use the Flash Recovery Utility, as the Sky Firmware will not let you install the standard Netgear software using the Router Upgrade link on the configuration pages).

Once you've got the latest Netgear firmware on the Sky router, you'll need to access the Advanced Wireless Settings on the configuration pages, tick the box for "Enable Wireless Bridging and Repeating" and select the "Repeater with Wireless Client Association" option. Make sure you put the wireless MAC address of the Voyage router into the list of remote MAC addresses on the Sky router. You should then be able to connect your PCs (or the switch your PCs are plugged into) into the Ethernet ports of the Sky router.

It's probably a good idea to set this up with security disabled on both the Voyager and the Sky routers to begin with, and set up security once you've got it all running.

The BIG, BIG downside to this setup is that I don't think WPA security is supported in this configuration. I think the only security option that works is the weaker WEP security.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help.

I flash the router to make it basically a normal netgear router and have the latest firmware installed.

But the advanced settings for the bridge are not there at all. So I have a feeling it is not going to be possible.

The BT router can see the the netgear router as a repeator, but nothing seems to be working.

I have a feeling it could be the assigned ip address of the netgear router, but not sure.

I think I will have to get some cat 5 cable and run it outside the house instead.

Shame.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ezdub View Post
      But the advanced settings for the bridge are not there at all. So I have a feeling it is not going to be possible.
      Really? That's odd. The Netgear routers I'm using for my wireless bridge are actually DG834G routers rather than DG834GT, but I wouldn't have thought the functionality available in the latest firmware would have been that much different. On my DG834G routers, it's quite a long way down in the menu panel on the left-hand side of the configuration page. Under the heading "Advanced", I've got:

Advanced
      • WAN Setup
      • Dynamic DNS
      • LAN IP Setup
      • Advanced Wireless Settings
      • Remote Management
      • Static Routes
      • UPnP

I have to scroll the panel down to be able to see them.

But if you can put in an Ethernet cable that would be far and away the best solution, even if it is a bit of a pain to do.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks anyway but look like we may have different versions of the same router.

I even found an another netgear router but it's not there either.

So out with the drill and cable clips over the weekend. LOL

But thanks.

Cheers.