Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I use SKY SMTP with my own domain and email

This is a discussion on Can I use SKY SMTP with my own domain and email within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone 1. I have ended up with a mish mash of providers for TV, Broadband and telephone services. They ...

Gun_Runner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can I use SKY SMTP with my own domain and email

Hi everyone

1. I have ended up with a mish mash of providers for TV, Broadband and telephone services. They are as follows:

a. Sky TV+ HD with all channels.
      b. ISP is Pipex.
      c. Telephone rental is with BT
      d. Telephone provider is Talk Talk
      e. Domain name and email address that I have arranged through fasthosts see.. Web Hosting - Web Hosting Company UK - Fasthosts

I have stayed with Pipex, because they allow me without restriction (default) to use their Outgoing mail server (SMTP) smtp.dsl.pipex.com. This allows me to send my mail out using my email of xxx@MYDomain.org.uk. I will not be changing my own domain will as I now have the independence I require. However, I would like to put everything under one roof (provider).

My choice is with Sky as they already provide with the complete TV package and can also supply me a better telephone package instead of Talk Talk. However, I do not know whether Sky Broadband servers will allow me the same use of their SMTP server for sending out my own email address and traffic.

Please does anybody know? Also I would like to know if there a telephone number for me to ring to get into conversation with them about this directly. Not the normal sky numbers please as I already have this.

Forgot to say. It is the SMTP SKY server setting I need to use in Outlook 2003, as I have already got my inbound pop3 server.

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Can I use SKY SMTP with my own domain and email

Hi

Welcome aboard

We use our emails with Sky SMTP ie name@skyuser.co.uk no problems whatsoever. All we do is put the POP Server for the domain in Outlook and the SMTP as the Sky one.

So far for the 10 months I have been on Sky had no issues whatsoever. Apart from the odd time the SMTP server has failed. You have to be connected on Sky Broadband to use the Sky SMTP server.

Hope that answers the question.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Runner View Post
      However, I do not know whether Sky Broadband servers will allow me the same use of their SMTP server for sending out my own email address and traffic.
      The old Sky SMTP server did this with no problem, but the new one rewrites the "from" address to match your Sky email address.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

umm

Does that mean ours is likely to stop working?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If they decomission smtp.sky.com then the answer is yes. All the MX entries for sky.com now point at Google, so that machine has no further fuction really, other than acting as an outgoing SMTP relay for people connected to the Sky network, and they should really be using smtp.tools.sky.com now.

Edit: just checked that to make sure, and the new SMTP server is definitely rewriting the "from" address.
      Last edited by James67; 21-11-07 at 02:49 AM.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      umm

Does that mean ours is likely to stop working?
      And can I suggest right now that for a cost free solution you use Google Apps to provide your domain email!

Same goes for Gun_Runner, although if you upgrade your email with Fasthosts then they will give you a roaming SMTP address - however, Fasthosts Exchange mail is something liek 6 a month!

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_sky_goat View Post
      And can I suggest right now that for a cost free solution you use Google Apps to provide your domain email!

Same goes for Gun_Runner, although if you upgrade your email with Fasthosts then they will give you a roaming SMTP address - however, Fasthosts Exchange mail is something liek 6 a month!

I've just moved from Pipex (fixed IP address) to Sky, and all I've done is signed up to dyndns.org smtp server access called outbound mail hop. Its 15dollars per year for upto 150 mails per day (was already using the free dynamic DNS).

Gun_Runner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar View Post
      I've just moved from Pipex (fixed IP address) to Sky, and all I've done is signed up to dyndns.org smtp server access called outbound mail hop. Its 15dollars per year for upto 150 mails per day (was already using the free dynamic DNS).
      Thanks for this, I have been using dydns.org free dynamic DNS for years, so please tell me more. What steps do I take (in detail if you wouldn't mind). Also what do I put in my Outlook SMTP box instead of the pipex smtp server.

Thanks in anticipation.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      If they decomission smtp.sky.com then the answer is yes. All the MX entries for sky.com now point at Google, so that machine has no further fuction really, other than acting as an outgoing SMTP relay for people connected to the Sky network, and they should really be using smtp.tools.sky.com now.

Edit: just checked that to make sure, and the new SMTP server is definitely rewriting the "from" address.
      You can get it to change the "from" address by adding another email account and making it the default, but it still sets the "return path" and "sender" fields to the sky address and this causes some versions of outlook to give an "on behalf of" in the from address
      Last edited by moleman; 21-11-07 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added bit about sender field

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Runner View Post
      Thanks for this, I have been using dydns.org free dynamic DNS for years, so please tell me more. What steps do I take (in detail if you wouldn't mind). Also what do I put in my Outlook SMTP box instead of the pipex smtp server.

Thanks in anticipation.
      I'm not using Outlook unfortunately, but theres Howto's (and one specific to Outlook Express) on the site - Further reading. DynDNS: MailHop Outbound -- authenticated, remote, always working SMTP service

I've got a mail server at home and use dyndns as a smarthost for the servers traffic. My mail server at home still thinks its my SMTP server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast