Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poor download speeds

This is a discussion on Poor download speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have been with Sky Max for about a month now and seem to be getting really poor download ...

beanboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Lochnagar
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Poor download speeds

Hi

I have been with Sky Max for about a month now and seem to be getting really poor download speeds. I've tested the speeds on a number of speedtest sites and getting around 630 Kbps on download and 630 Kbps on upload. Have copied the router stats and shown them below

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16381 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 17.0 db 9.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 13.5 db

I've only got one BT socket in the house and am connecting to the router wirelessly. Is there something simple I'm doing wrong or missing or is there a more serious problem that I should contact Sky about?

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Poor download speeds

Quote Originally Posted by beanboy View Post
      Hi

I have been with Sky Max for about a month now and seem to be getting really poor download speeds. I've tested the speeds on a number of speedtest sites and getting around 630 Kbps on download and 630 Kbps on upload. Have copied the router stats and shown them below

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16381 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 17.0 db 9.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 13.5 db

I've only got one BT socket in the house and am connecting to the router wirelessly. Is there something simple I'm doing wrong or missing or is there a more serious problem that I should contact Sky about?

Thanks in anticipation.
      using wireless

only joking, first could you do a wired test to rule out router/PC problems

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

richone54, thanks for replying so quickly

Typical though, as soon as I start thinking there's something wrong, the speeds start to improve! I still expected faster though.

Tried a few tests again and now getting about 3Mbps using the wireless connection and 6Mbps wired, didn't realise there would be such a difference.

Sorry to ask another question, but is this normal?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is quite normal to get a much lower speed using wireless. However, with your attenuation, if you have copied it right, you should be getting very near the full 16mb wired. You are way below that. Try downloading and installing TCPOptimiser to make sure your PC is properly set up. Also post your detailed stats to let the others have a look.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

it's prob normal for wireless, some people have no problem and some seem not to be able to get anywhere near the correct speed

If you are running XP, then try the TCP optimzer (in one of the links in my sig) this could give you supprising results

as for the wireless you could try moving the router / ariel to different positions and see if that helps
      (also keep away from power cables / dect phones )

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks to you both for the advice.

Moved router etc. and installed TCP optimzer on the laptop and now getting around 14000kps wired and also on the wireless connection. Installed TCP optimzer on desktop which is some distance from the router and have also seen an improvement but not quite so significant. Guessing this is probably due to the distance from the router, placement of the wireless adaptor etc. as the laptop gets better speeds from the same room.

Thanks again - I'm happy now!