Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Possible to reduce speed?

This is a discussion on Possible to reduce speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello everyone, Been a sky customer for 4 months now.. after initial problems happy with sky.. Im on the max ...

mufec1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Possible to reduce speed?

hello everyone,

Been a sky customer for 4 months now.. after initial problems happy with sky..

Im on the max unlimited sky package of 10 quid a month.

My main problem is whenever i synch between 2800 and 3200 kb/s.. the snr is
      so low.. between 3 to 6 that i cant use the connection.. Have to reboot
      around 5/6 times so that it synchs around 2600 kb/s and snr is around 8..
      It gets worse during peak time in the evening as SNR always drops at that time.

Is it possible to ask sky to reduce my synch to around 2600? I dont download much.. just require a reliable connection.

Had a week of not even 1 reboot.. when it was synched at 2600 and this morning..must have been a drop of connection so im back at 2900 and all day been rebooting trying to get a stable connection..

Apart from this no major problems with sky.. Just worried so many reboots
      will mess up the router and will be without any net connection

Any help will be appreciated..

mufec1

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Possible to reduce speed?

^^^ You can use Mognuts utility HERE to set your own SNR to around 8 and resync at that speed. Have you checked for any internal wiring issues which could be causing the problem?

If you post your detailed modem stats using the same utility someone may be able to have a look and advise further.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      ^^^ You can use Mognuts utility HERE to set your own SNR to around 8 and resync at that speed. Have you checked for any internal wiring issues which could be causing the problem?

If you post your detailed modem stats using the same utility someone may be able to have a look and advise further.
      thanks eyemdee.. i posted my stats few months ago on this forum.. I will check
      the mognuts utility.. everything else is fine.. when sky is connected at low speed then no problems.. Im on a pc and connected to an extension..sadly no chance of trying out on the master socket..

thanks once again..

edit.. wow just tried it and set snr to 8.. im now synched at 2624 kbs and 8.4 SNR.. brilliant.. saves me all the rebooting next time..

thanks
      Last edited by mufec1; 19-11-07 at 08:08 PM.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Just a thought, have you tried removing the additional wires from your extension just leaving pins 2 and 5 connected, did the world of good to my extension wiring.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you don't do a lot of downloading, then you are wasting 5 a month having Max. Mid would give you the same speed, with a 40GB limit. I don't think Sky are keen on changing you mid-contract, unless your speed is very low, which yours isn't, but it may be worth requesting a change when your 12 months is up. Just think, that's 1/2 an HD subscription, or maybe that's just the Scot in me

Remember if you do have to reboot when you are using Mognuts to set the SNR, the setting is lost and must be reset. It may be worth just booting at a noisy period in the evening, like now, you never know it may hold up during the day.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

penrhyn.. i havent done any wiring.. but since my skills are the same as frank spencer.. i dont think me and electrical things go together..

Isitme.. i thought about the 5 quid option.. but when my brother comes from uni he uses the wireless connection and between us reach about 50-60GB. Since i was paying freedom2suft 25 quid a month.. i like the 10 quid option.. If the time came.. i could easily switch to the 5 quid option..

when its working.. like last week one whole week without reboot.. you switch on and it works.. SNR was teh only problem.. getting it to a low speed.. If i reboot now.. it will go straight to max 3200 speeds.. and speed will drop by 100 kb/s for every reboot.. Just a pain.. Will bookmark mognuts link.. as that will be 1 reboot instead of 6 to get me a stable line..Im happy now..

Thanks guys for your help..

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

I know where you are coming from, I was a bit nervous when first looking at my internal phone wiring, have you got a pet DIYer who could look at it for you?
      Have a look at this it gives a bit more detail, and I'm sure it could improve things for you, BTW what's your attenuation?

DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help