Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittant wireless signal from DG834GT router

This is a discussion on Intermittant wireless signal from DG834GT router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have succesfully installed SKY broadband. The router is working very well using one ethernet LAN port. However I am ...

harrow1357 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Intermittant wireless signal from DG834GT router

I have succesfully installed SKY broadband. The router is working very well using one ethernet LAN port. However I am unable to connect to the router using wireless. I have talked to SKY support for at least an hour and they were unable to help, just left me to sort it out. Great support for a new customer!
      I have tried connecting two laptops both work on other wireless networks. One 3-Com adaptor and one Broadcom adaptor. I can monitor the signal from the router and it is 90% but switches off and on regularly every 10 seconds. This is insufficient time for me to complete a connection. I have tried default security settings, WEP, Disable also tried different channels. I have also reset the router. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. Advertisement
      dmcconachie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Intermittant wireless signal from DG834GT router

Quote Originally Posted by harrow1357 View Post
      I have talked to SKY support for at least an hour and they were unable to help, just left me to sort it out.
      Welcome to SKY (Sort Konnection Yourself) (Why aren't there more synonyms for "problem" beginning with "K"??)

I gave up trying to get my second PC to connect wirelessly!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately, unless you are using Sky supplied adapters, the CS will not be able to help you. All their crib sheets are based on the equipment they supply.

The first thing I would mention is, are you trying to set up the wireless in the same room as the router? If you are, I would expect a better signal than 90%. Are you certain you are trying to connect to your own router and not one nearby? The symtoms you describe are similar to what you would get when your security is not correct. Using the PC's ethernet connection, go into the router settings and make sure the wireless access point is turned on, 'Allow Broadcast Name' is selected and that 'Disable' is selected for Security. Also make sure that Wireless isolation is not selected. Remember that resetting the router returns it to default with the Security turned on. Turn off the security on both your laptops and disable all firewalls.

In this state your laptops should be able to 'see' the router and also see each other. Start at Channel 1 and work your way through the Channels until you find a stable connection. I know Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the ones that are normally recommended, but don't worry about that at the moment, try them all.

I am assuming that the wireless light on your router is glowing a steady green. Anything else means that your router is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As suggested above change the wireless channel on the
      router settings page, also unplug from mains power any DECT cordless phones
      or other 2.4ghz devices in your house any see if that helps