Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Looking to move to Sky

This is a discussion on Looking to move to Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I am currently looking at moving by broadband to Sky but I have a few questions I hope ...

Viamp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASBF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Looking to move to Sky

Hi there,

I am currently looking at moving by broadband to Sky but I have a few questions I hope you can answer.

• I am currently with Tesco, which I believe uses Virgin Datastream ADSL network. Would there be any complications during migration?
      • Samknows gives me a distance of 1.71km from my exchange (as the crow flies). My router reporting a downstream attenuation of 43db with a SNR of 12db (Upstream 12.5db/23db). Is there anything obviously wrong with these readings or are they normal?
      • What kind of speeds should I realistically be looking at? ADSL2 a possibility? (My exchange is EASBF)
      • We have Sky TV already though my Mum, although I would prefer any broadband service contract to be my responsibility. Is this possible? If not, could my bank details still be used?

Thanks again if you can help me,
      Sam

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Looking to move to Sky

I'm guessing from your figures that you're on Tesco's 2 Mbit/sec service. You'll almost certainly get faster than that, but you probably won't be put on ADSL2+.

Unfortunately, you can't have your broadband service billed separately from the Sky TV subscription.

Viamp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASBF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Looking to move to Sky

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I am currently on Tesco's "Finest" package which is quickly going downhill - websites will not load for brief period, then come back on. Plus I'm on a Max DSL exchange and they won't upgrade my speed (just 2Mb static)

Sam