Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Slow speeds due to NO MASTER SOCKET??!!

This is a discussion on Slow speeds due to NO MASTER SOCKET??!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey my 1st post here , So we signed up for sky broadband max package and were told max speeds ...

GhettoSkater is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow speeds due to NO MASTER SOCKET??!!

Hey my 1st post here ,

So we signed up for sky broadband max package and were told max speeds of just over 3mb (which is better then the 1mb package we had with bt for 15 more). all went smothly, and was activated on the 12th. But i am only gettin around 2-2.5mb.

So i had a look around some forums etc and found out that some peopel in excess of 2km from there exchange were still gettin around 6-7mb. so i thought hmm wheres my exchange. checked it and im only around 1.7km from the exchange. after looking for my stats on the router i found out they were:

Line Attunition (i dont know how its spelt and cba to find it ) = 52db
      noise margin = 7.1-7.5db

now thw router is on an extection and after reading about the test socket on a bt master socket i set out to find ours. so i asked my dad and he showed me that we didnt have a master socket, we have some wires coming through a wall wich are poorly wired into some dodgy looking box, with the extention cables (also wired like crap) comin out the other side. my dad told me the house was wired like this when he bought it.

I will post pics tonight.

Now my questions are, could this be the reason for my poor stats and connection speeds? Why dont i have a master socket? and would getting a bt engineer out to fix this mess solve some of the problems?

Cheers for any help and advice whatsoever

PS sorry for the long essay-like post :P

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site GhettoSkater

From what you are saying I would get your dad to get in touch with BT and get the house wiring sorted out and have them fit a master socket, as far as I know this can be done free of charge if you still have the old style connection coming into the house.

Calling 150 and asking will give you more info.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

GhettoSkater is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers wheelie, i will try giving them a call and see what they say.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ok will watch this post with great interest
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

john5197 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Astley Bridge
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I would suspect the 'dodgy looking box' is a Master Socket, without it your telephone would not be able to receive incoming calls, all the equipment for incoming calls is built into the master socket, the wire from outside can go to a terminal block first, a dodgy looking box with screw in the middle of the lid, then from there to the first socket, which could/should be the Master Socket...whatever you do do not ring BT and ask them to come and check your wiring, unless you are absolutely sure the wiring was installed by BT, they may stick you with a rather large bill, just for attending, and won't do any work on any equipment which isn't theirs, and if a problem is found that was caused by equipment belonging to you, they will bill you for the engineers time as well....

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question

Then again I may have mis-understood, and you as Wheelie says be on the old type 'fixed telephone Installation' where the telephones are wired directly into terminal blocks, and are not capable of being removed, if this is the case, as Wheelie says get in touch with BT, but I'm not sure if installing a Master Socket is free on a working line.....BT don't usually do owt fer nowt...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Not at all I only had a terminal block in my old house with a normal white BT phone point fixed to the wall by the side of it and that was how it stayed until I wanted ADSL installed and BT came out and put a new line form the pole outside to the house replacing the old one and then wired a new master socket to it and it was free due to the old wiring etc.

From what GhettoSkater is saying theres could well be the same especially if its an old house.
      Ray

click here

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy

What just made me think though Wheelie was GhettoSkater mentions testing his modem/router, if he has no sockets, what did he plug it into, and if he has sockets, one must be a Master....

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Na there are loads of old house that still have the old wiring in them with a BT phone point connected to them my parents house still has it no master scoket but that could well change as thet live in Cardiff and BT are switching Cardiff to the BT 21st Century Network at the end of this year from memory they will be at ity down there for about 6 months.
      Ray

click here

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question

Yup totally agree, lot of older house with original BT wiring in them, but all the telephones will be 'fixed' incapable of being moved about, and one of those telephone will be the main telephone, and all the rest extensions, it has to be that way because of the way they are wired inside the telephones, but as I asked where did Ghettoskater plug his router in?, I doubt it will have the capability of being wired into the old style wiring, because the old style wiring, and socket wiring are completely different (one has four wires between telephones, socket wiring only uses three between sockets, two in and three out from the Master Socket)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast