Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Slow speeds due to NO MASTER SOCKET??!!

This is a discussion on Slow speeds due to NO MASTER SOCKET??!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; .....and I thought mine was a mess.........lol This might help you in your quest (found it yesterday) Guide To Rewiring ...

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      .....and I thought mine was a mess.........lol

This might help you in your quest (found it yesterday)

Guide To Rewiring UK Internal Phone Wiring

I would be very interested to know what BT quote you for supplying and fitting a new fangled NTE5 BT Master Socket though.

2. Advertisement
      john5197 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Astley Bridge
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question

By the way, the dodgy box, is the place where the external and internal wiring meet, as hugsie suggested, one of the reasons I think it was done recently is that BT Engineers should not drill through a window frame (It may be double glazed,whatever) they are instructed to drill through the wall nearest the telephone point, but the wire from the pole cannot be terminated in a socket (it is to thick) so the engineers usually put an interface (dodgy box) between the overhead wire and the internal wire....but dodgy box should be fastened down, send for BT...

GhettoSkater is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john5197 View Post
      Hi once again, the wiring you have is quite modern, you obviously share the bracket outside your house possibly with your next door neighbour, the black wire down the wall from the wall bracket is your exchange line, the white wire coming out of the dodgy box is an internal wire going usually to the Master Socket, but what I need to ask is, do you have an extension outside the house, or have they now laid on a direct underground exchange line to your house from the street?, the black wire with the black/green/white and orange wire is an underground cable, normally used to feed directly from the exchange, or to an external extension, it may be the overhead wire is redundant, but I would suggest that the external wire from the pole was installed with the last 10/12 years. hope that helps.....a little....
      i share the bracket with next door but thats where the similarities end.

the wire coming from the pole to my house just looks like normal white telephone cable, but doubled up. then it goes into a box on the side of the house which then exits as the thick black cable with the black/green/white and orange wire which goes to the "dodgy box".

wareas next door the wire from the pole is the thick black stuff and that runs directly down into there living room without the need for any additinal box on the side of the house. why is this?

the white cable comin from the "dodgy box"runs for a bit and then splits, in which one goes to the bedroom socket and the other goes to the living room.

i dont know if we have an underground extention, but i will try and find out.

cheers guys

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question

Sorry me again, does the 'dodgy box' have BT on the lid in a little circle in middle, or anywhere on the lid, or does it have 'NTL' on it, if it does send for BT to tidy it up, and is your next door neighbour on NTL, it is difficult to see from the photographs, but I think I can see cable(s) coming from underground, one going through a hole into your house, and one going along the wall to what looks like next door, the BT wire is th top black one going into your house, the other one going into your house (the bottom black one may well be a redundant NTL Cable, I doubt you will get NTL to recover that for you but you can try....sorry can't reply any more this evening, or tomorrow morning, have to go out and do some work...

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question

It is becoming a bit clearer now, the 'white' wire will be the original wire from the pole to the house, when you changed from NTL back to BT the overhead wire was probably still in place, so the engineer has fitted you a terminal box outside your house on the wall, whereas your neighbour doesn't need one their wire has probably never been cut off, as I said in my last post the wire going into the ground is probably a redundant NTL Cable....as I said send for BT to tidy up their bit. must dash.....

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cheers john

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

and also the logo on the dodgy box it this

logo.

is this bt??

Riatsila Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

magnolia

Yes, that's BT.

It is possible to get a perfectly clear signal on these old lines by the way. The advantage of filtering at the master socket on the newer wiring is that it also filters all of the extensions (that go through it).

If you filter every extension socket (including the one used by your Sky box) it should be fine. I would recommend replacing the faceplates with filtered ones such as this .. http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...products_id=95 (or the XTF-85, which is bigger - just emasure your extensions to see which one fits -- 68 or 85 mm).

I would also disconnect your bell wire at the "dodgy box" (on your side, not BTs side) as this can cause interference and you don't need it. Some guidance here.

My house has ancient wiring, and all extensions are wired straight out of a junction box. My DSL is fine (I get a full-speed sync). Not on Sky yet, but the wiring issues are the same.

EL_PRESEDENTE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      well 10 years ago the line rotted through and we are the only people in the street with a external master socket as trying to reattach to the internal one was either too much trouble or the couldnt be arsed (probly this one) turns out they didnt take away the master socket but when i took off the lower half of the split socket i found they had it wired with 1 wire coming around the edge of the master socket its self its a right pigs ear of a job and taken away our test socket. and crammed a load of wires into our master socket.

so all we have is two extensions inside the house.

i still havent bothered to phone bt about it, but i will do

i know itll probly not make a huge difference but i wanted to fit a nte5 faceplate which is now impossible due to the mess they left the internal wireing in but i wonder if bt will even bother as it is working,

tbh i couldnt even refit the face plate as was worried about crushing the cables

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riatsila View Post
      I would also disconnect your bell wire at the "dodgy box" (on your side, not BTs side) as this can cause interference and you don't need it. Some guidance here.
      that bell wire is the wire for the extantions, so if i removed that no sockets would work in the house.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast