Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VENT: don't give Sky too much notice of move!

This is a discussion on VENT: don't give Sky too much notice of move! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; On the 7th November I called to arrange having my Sky Television service moved to my new address on the ...

austinjreid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGRTFO
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

VENT: don't give Sky too much notice of move!

On the 7th November I called to arrange having my Sky Television service moved to my new address on the Saturday 1st December. I called in plenty of time knowing from passed experience Saturdays get booked up really quickly. I was told that would be OK and the call ended once he had given me my order number and confirmed a contact phone number.

This said person omitted to tell me that by placing this order it would automatically trigger a cancellation going through for my Sky Broadband internet connection. No confirmation either was sent to my address.

On the 14th November our Sky Broadband stopped working at 6.03am which was the last successful ping from the great SkyBroadbandRouter app, but I had to go to work. I called the technical team at 5.45pm and was taken through a series of troubleshooting options, including replacing filters, confirming the line connection route via the filters and then a reset of all router settings. I was then asked to check the main BT NTE5 so they could eliminate any internal wiring problem. When I had completed this he called back and spoke to another person who asked me to remove the face plate of the BT Point to gain access to the test socket, upon doing this the call was cut off, I was not told this would happen, but knew it would.
      I then called back for the 3rd time and the person asked me to hold why he read the previous notes on our account. I was told that they had updated our account to our new address each time so at this point I asked the agent ď I hope you havenít cut our broadband off as this had not been requested yet". He checked, the answer was YES, it had been ceased! Why wasn't his picked up on the first call.

Surely this is breach of the conditions of contract? Considering the very same day, yesterday, I received a bill for the broadband which had just been ceased!

As we are moving at the end of the month, we don't have a hope of connection for 4 weeks after waiting for the active line at the new home. I shall be billing Sky for dialup charges.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: VENT: don't give Sky too much notice of move!

Have to agree, if you request an address change, Sky should mention what will happen with the Broadband.

As for not picking that fact up on the first call to them, I am not really that surprised. Surely it should say on their screen, Broadband Ceased or similar.

On a positive side, someone I know has just completed their house move yesterday with the BB and Sky did credit for the time down, not really any consolation.

Good luck!

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Thanks NR, its just so frustrating.

I cannot fault their tv, bb, or skytalk service at all during normal operation. Maybe one or two instances of a few mins with no connection, but other than that seamless. Until it gets to those small things like a stressful house move that really get to you when something screws up. And the fact they cannot rectify their mistake either.

We're still going back to sky, after weighing the options, and the fact our destination has sold out of LLU, so its Connect again, it still works out cheaper (VM not in area either) than another bb+tel provider, and it is nice having it all on one bill.

But now a house move with no internet access, all those things you take for granted. And explaining to daughter why she has to tell school she can't complete bit of homework.

A letter has gone to Mr Murdoch and the AllCCEscalation addresses, explaining their screw-up.

Thanks

They did offer £5 compensation!

To which the agent actually agreed was an insult!

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortunately, happens a lot more than you'd think - practically everyone that I speak to in provisioning hasn't got a clue that they've got to ring back to reorder once at the new address. I've also spoke to several people who informed Sky specifically they didn't want the broadband ceasing, so its not just forgetting to tell you, its not knowing that it will happen
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

Thanks

Can't believe I had to go out last night to buy, wait for it, a 56k dialup modem! just so I can use 1p/min dial up, which of course I shall be billing Sky for.

Just to make everything more pleasurable, the location I am moving 'back' to has sold out of Sky LLU! Damn, one of those lines is my old telephone number!

Thanks

TSx, I know what you say is not official, so I also open this to anyone with legal knowledge...

In the Sky Broadband Subscription Contract, in the inital key points to note it states:

"The Sky Broadband Product you have chosen is for a minimum of 12 calendar months from the date your telephone line is first activated by BT to receive Sky Broadband (the Minimum Term), unless you or we are allowed to end it earlier (Condition 11)."

Now, nowhere in Condition 11 does it state that Sky are allowed to end the contract suddenly without notice to the customer, especially after BILLING them for it!

So are Sky in Breach of Contract Conditons?

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As I'm the guy Newsreader knows who just moved, I'll give my story about moving...

I only gave sky a few days notice, mainly as we had to get BT to reactivate an old line, this meant that I had down time of 3 weeks for my sky BB.
      Only cos I asked TSx on here, and specifically asked the customer rep if I had to call back to get my new line activiated was it turned on in the shortest amount of time.

But fair play to them, they did refund both TV and BB for the time I didn't have it, which I didn't ask for - I was getting round to it though!

What you might want to do, is on the day BT have cleared your old line, call them up and say that you have moved within the same phone exchange area, and you already had sky BB, can't they use the same slot now...

It might work, stranger things have happened!!!

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by austinjreid View Post
      TSx, I know what you say is not official, so I also open this to anyone with legal knowledge...

In the Sky Broadband Subscription Contract, in the inital key points to note it states:

"The Sky Broadband Product you have chosen is for a minimum of 12 calendar months from the date your telephone line is first activated by BT to receive Sky Broadband (the Minimum Term), unless you or we are allowed to end it earlier (Condition 11)."

Now, nowhere in Condition 11 does it state that Sky are allowed to end the contract suddenly without notice to the customer, especially after BILLING them for it!

So are Sky in Breach of Contract Conditons?
      they haven't terminated it, they've initiated the moving home procedure... theres a difference, I don't know legally what it is but obviously whenever anyone moves they have to terminate the broadband before you move. In this instance (and lots of others) its just the case that they've done it early

edit: Just thought I'd add that I don't work in moving homes, just the fallout from them!
      Last edited by TSx; 16-11-07 at 01:23 PM.
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

Thanks

ahh, but they have terminated it. No broadband subscription appears on my 'my sky' account any more. Also in a response from Cust Relations, they said: "Should you wish to reconnect Broadband at your new address please don't hesitate to contact me and I will ensure an new order is placed."

As another insult, they have now offered £30 goodwill gesture which has actually been added to my bill. i.e. the amount now owing has increased by £30 !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast