Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

weird attenuation

This is a discussion on weird attenuation within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; an application called DMT. im not providing info as im not sure if its permitted in here yet and i ...

DJ_Steve is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sunderland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: weird attenuation

an application called DMT. im not providing info as im not sure if its permitted in here yet and i dont want to get banned. but im sure sum1 will be along to answer with details

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

(going to have to contact sky about that because i dont believe in paying 10/mo for a service they are not providing).
      the max service is not just download speed but also a higher upload speed (768 on max - 416 on base and mid) and also the FUP on downloads ( base ~ 2 / mid ~ 40 / max is fair use and seems to be somewhere in the region of about 250). i am supprised you were not advised of this when ordering

Attn(dB): 59.0 31.5
      with your attenuation you will only ever get around 3.5 (with perfect line contions).

but the thing ive noticed is that if i set the lpair to outer my attenuation downstream drops from 51-59db
      i'm sorry but i do not understand (about the lpair?) and are you saying you have seen a difference in your Arttenuation from 59db down to 51db ?

you also spoke about changing your SNR. Bringing your SNR down will increase your speed but will give you problems with your connection / by the same token some people higher there SNR up to give them a more stable connection. if you are using the sky supplied router and have not changed it in any way anything under about 6 will give problems with your connection

could you also confirm how you have your router connected to the phone line, do you use an exstention / master socket / test socket

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-Host View Post
      How do u change your SNR??

you could use mosseywells utility or Mognuts, (both around the forum somewhere)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post

i'm sorry but i do not understand (about the lpair?) and are you saying you have seen a difference in your Arttenuation from 59db down to 51db ?

you also spoke about changing your SNR. Bringing your SNR down will increase your speed but will give you problems with your connection / by the same token some people higher there SNR up to give them a more stable connection. if you are using the sky supplied router and have not changed it in any way anything under about 6 will give problems with your connection

could you also confirm how you have your router connected to the phone line, do you use an exstention / master socket / test socket
      DMT allows you to choose the phone wire pair that the router uses (inner or outer) and i get madly different attenuation figures for each one (one gives 15.5 other 58-59 - i know now that the 15.5 is a bug though so not bothered)

and yes i can see a change in my attenuation on my old linksys router i get between 49-51db but on this crappy netgear i get 58-59 constantly.

i have router conected to main socket via a extension cable . and only 1 other phone in house (and sky box which ive added a second filter on to aswell.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well that's just plain weird. The setting which selects which pair of wires the router uses selects between using wires 2/5, and using wires 3/4. I've never seen any device (microfilter or faceplate filter) which provides the ADSL signal on both pairs - normally it's only available on wires 3/4. If you actually peer inside the socket of one of the microfilters that Sky supplies, you'll see that there are only two metal contacts - for wires 3/4 - so there's physically no metal connection for the outer pair.

Maybe when you select the outer pair, it's actually picking up some kind of cross-talked signal, or something like that. It's hard to say really.

Quite aside from the Netgear attenuation figure bug, attenuation figures given by consumer ADSL modems and routers are usually fairly rough and different brands of router will give different figures (although the difference seen here is pretty large). It doesn't necessarily mean that one router is better than the other, although I must say, I've never rated Netgear kit particularly highly and would generally consider a Linksys to be better,

Thanks

its possible the inner/outerpair part doesnt work, just seems weird the atten changes when choosing it. and yes, my linksys router beats most others (including the tuseless bt homehub i have lying around) with regards to attenuation, i think its modem is more sensitive perhaps. i dont know but at the moment my lines sitting at 3104kbps on a 58db attenuation with a 5.3 snr (slightly reduced it but its been stable now for 3 hours

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12