Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lose Broadband Every Time Phone Is Used

This is a discussion on Lose Broadband Every Time Phone Is Used within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All This is my first ever post so please be gentle! I have a problem which has been ongoing ...

Mad Hatter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marple
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lose Broadband Every Time Phone Is Used

Hi All

This is my first ever post so please be gentle!

I have a problem which has been ongoing for several weeks now. It's supposed to have been escalated to Tier 3 at Sky but they never come back to me so I am now looking elsewhere.

Until recently I had no problems at all with my broadband. However whenever I now pick up any of my phones my broadband goes off for a couple of mins then resets and comes back on again. When I finish any calls and put the phone back on the hook the broadband goes off again for a couple of mins until its reset.

I used to have the broadband plugged into the main socket in the house with an extension cable. After this prob started I now have had another main socket wired up just for the broadband (and fax machine) in my garage. The speed has subsequently gone up to a download speed of around 7000k and upstream of 416k. The noise is around 14.5db and the attenuation is 27db. That is now the limit of my knowledge.

If I disconnect all the phones and just leave one phone (any one will do) and the broadband on it still disconnects as soon as I pick a phone up. I've tried changing the filters around or disconnecting everything but it's still the same. As soon as I pick up or put down any of the phones the internet goes off for a few mins until its reset itself.

Last week Sky said they were 'moving my connection to another part of the exchange' and this would solve the problem. It hasn't.

Any help would be appreciated because it's obvious that Sky are now just passing the buck around.

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Lose Broadband Every Time Phone Is Used

^^^ This is the sort of problem that has probably been caused by something changing if it was working OK previously. It sounds mostly like an ADSL filter missing or faulty somewhere.

Are any of the 'phones or the fax machine new?

Is the new main socket on the same line as the one that used to work OK?

Are you sure that you have ADSL filters plugged into EVERY extension on the line which is causing the problem?

Did you change or plug anything different in when the problem started?

It might be an idea to log into the router on 192.168.0.1, username Admin and password Sky, then bring up the Show Statistics page in the Router Status menu. Keep an eye on the Noise Margin figure which you say is 14.5db. This is excellent, but keep watching that screen while you pick up a phone and see if it changes.

Finally, check if there is a wire, usually orange/white, connected to terminal 3 of the master socket. If so, disconnect it and see if that makes any difference as you do not need it.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I had a similar thing a while back, the problem was finally traced to a poor connection in one of the green cabinets. it was only just making a contact and everytime the phone rang and was picked up the connection died.

It took a couple of goes with a BT engineer to get it sorted. I could watch the SNR drop as soon as I used the phone, it was worse on damp/cold days.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info.
      In answer to the above:
      1: Nothing has been changed prior to the fault ocurring.
      2: I have had an additional master socket fitted in the garage taken off the main feed into the house before the other master socket. This socket has increased the speed greatly but the problem still exists.
      3: I have tried disconnecting all the phones and swapping filters etc but if you pick ANY phone up or put a phone down the connection is lost for a while until it resets.
      4: I have tried checking the noise levels when the phone is picked up - but the line drops so the settings go to zero!
      5: I have ordered a new 'fancy' connecting cable from the Netgear router to the master socket just in case!

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
      Thanks for the info.
      In answer to the above:
      1: Nothing has been changed prior to the fault ocurring.
      2: I have had an additional master socket fitted in the garage taken off the main feed into the house before the other master socket. This socket has increased the speed greatly but the problem still exists.
      3: I have tried disconnecting all the phones and swapping filters etc but if you pick ANY phone up or put a phone down the connection is lost for a while until it resets.
      4: I have tried checking the noise levels when the phone is picked up - but the line drops so the settings go to zero!
      5: I have ordered a new 'fancy' connecting cable from the Netgear router to the master socket just in case!

there may still be a problem at the exchange

i am interested in your second point, did you have the additional master socket fitted before or after the problem ?

i am not a techie but would have thought you can only have one master socket (as the name suggests)

as to point 5, what fancy cable would you be refering to ?
      Last edited by richone54; 14-11-07 at 10:40 PM.

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Hi there
      It could be a cross wires issue what you need to do is call into T1 and just tell them that you cant use you Sky BB and Telephone at the sametime. It will come to Tier 2 regardless if you are an offnet or onnet customer. We will then log a fault to BT and you will recieve a call back from T2 within 48hrs. Just try and change the microfilters and see if it works if not give tech support a call and you should be put through to T2

HELGHAST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i had this with AOL and i got it again. its downto the phone line!
      i got a engineer out to go up the pole. he said it was ok. he went down the road and 30mins later said he had to change a wire and something else and it worked. he did say my area is getting updated soon and it could come back. which it has done. as we get a static noise on the line aswell. its very annoying as i play the 360or ps3 then !!BANG!! lost connection i could be wrong but thats what it was for me.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Maybe I should have listened to SKY a bit better! Read on . . .

The service had been running fine with no changes prior to the 'fault' occuring. I then got a new socket fitted in the garage and connected up to that. This increased the speed to around 7000k (from 4000k) which was nice! The problem still occured though - each time you picked up or put down any phone the broadband cut off until it reset itself.

So I have gone out and bought a 10mtr cable which claims to be especially for broadband with gold plated connections etc. It's a lot more substantial than the previous cable I was using. I also removed my standard network cable from the pc to the router and put in the yellow one that came with the SKY router (Netgear). I plugged the lot back in and am now running at over 8000k with a noise ratio of 25db - and the problem seems to have been fixed!

Hopefully it'll stay that way!

I guess I should have changed the cables first but they had been working fine for months and nothing had changed so I thought they would not be the problem. Anyway I am now running a lot faster and I now know a lot more than when I started. Thanks.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

thats just it, lines can be fine for years then trip up with no obvious cause. thats why Sky ask customer to try in the master/test socket to rule out wiring issues before doing anything else
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket