Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

cannot connect to sky router via wireless

This is a discussion on cannot connect to sky router via wireless within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there My problem is this (and any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated) I have recently set ...

fernando smallhands is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cannot connect to sky router via wireless

Hi there

My problem is this (and any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated)

I have recently set up my sky router, however I needed a wireless adapter in order to connect my PC to it, so I brought a netgear WG111T adapter and attempted to connect it to the router after installing everything, but it will not connect. It sometimes connects for a second then nothing, just drops out, but the wireless adapter can see my router (and has around 44% signal from it) but it cannot maintain a connection.

On the wireless adapter screen I can see it is going through the channels on the router, but not connecting, I can also, with this wireless adapter, see other peoples routers, but cannot connect to them either, the same thing happens, it may connect for second, then the connection goes "red" rather then "green" and it cycles through the channels attempting to find whatever it needs.

My sky router works fine with my xbox 360 linked to it via ethernet cable.

Anyone with any ideas as to help me get a wireless signal at home would be deserving of a hero award

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: cannot connect to sky router via wireless

Uninstall any software that came with the adaptor but keep the drivers, you may need to remove the wireless adaptor and plug it back in with the driver CD in for it to pick up the drivers again. Then try firing up the wireless connection again and see if it locks this time. Sometimes the Netgear software behaves strangely and stops the connection from fully locking to the router. If it still does not work properly with Windows controlling the device then you may need to check for interference to the signal, possibly change the wireless channel in use by logging into the router and changing it in the wireless settings.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for replying

I have had this problem with a wireless adapter I had before the netgear one, which I brought as I thought the wireless adapter I had before was the problem as it quite a cheap one, but it apparently wasnt the case, as this is two now that I cannot use

I have tried to log into the wireless router but cannot do so, when I try to, it cannot find it, but can see it when I attempt to connect to it via the adapter

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you set up the security properly. It looks like the adapter is finding the router, then failing to give the correct handshake.

I have just noticed that you have posted this in 2 parts of the forum. You should not do this as it uses up space unnecessarily and creates confusion among correspondents.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am trying to get as much help as possible with this, hence the two postings

how would I go about checking the "handshake" security settings?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Read this post which tells you how to set up for wireless.-
      Wireless Tutorial

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.