Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I changed to Mid and wished I hadn't

This is a discussion on I changed to Mid and wished I hadn't within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I just changed to the Mid package, partly to play World of Warcraft (the patch downloads are massive). After playing ...

Nebiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I changed to Mid and wished I hadn't

I just changed to the Mid package, partly to play World of Warcraft (the patch downloads are massive). After playing Wow (or sometimes during) for a few hours things appear to lock up. I get disconnected from the Wow server; then I find I can't surf or anything like that. The only option is to reboot the router.

Tonight (PC was switched off) the router seemed to be flickering away. I booted up the PC, couldn;t surf or anything. Found the router was contantly trying to LCP connect and failing. Rebooting the router and everything is fine.

What the heck is going on? Surely just changing the package to Mid means that nothing is changed hardware wise (it just seemed to be a few clicks at Sky's end) - they just don;t throttle me so much, and lift the cap to 40Gb?

Up to now I;ve had seven months trouble free service, only ever had to reboot the router once in all that time.

I tried to use SkyBounce to get the detailed stats but couldn;t get it to work, it just seemed to cause the router to reboot! Even when I just clicked on "get current stats"

I trolled around and finally found Mugnuts utility, which is only available as a cached page, and I got this, which might as well be Martian for all I understand of it

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 416 Kbps, Downstream rate = 4864 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.0 13.0
      Attn(dB): 37.0 25.0
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 0.8
      Max(Kbps): 5472 1184
      Rate (Kbps): 4864 416
      G.dmt framing
      K: 153(0) 14
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 16
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 153 14
      M: 1 16
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 1.1038 17.0666
      L: 1232 120
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 21935 21933
      SFErr: 3 0
      RS: 1491632 93215
      RSCorr: 363508 0
      RSUnCorr: 56 0

HEC: 2 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 4281192 0
      Data Cells: 10431 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 2 0
      SES: 2 0
      UAS: 25 0
      Total time = 6 min 52 sec
      SF = 21935
      CRC = 3
      LOS = 9
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Latest 1 day time = 6 min 52 sec
      SF = 21935
      CRC = 3
      LOS = 9
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Latest 15 minutes time = 6 min 52 sec
      SF = 21935
      CRC = 3
      LOS = 9
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Previous 15 minutes time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

It's driving me nuts!

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I changed to Mid and wished I hadn't

^^^ It looks like you may have a noisy line which is struggling to handle the extra speed which Mid has given you, assuming you have upgraded from base at 2Mb.

Look at the cabling and faceplate forum for wiring clues, in particular disconnecting the ring wire to any extensions, usually an orange/white wire connected to terminal 3 on your master socket.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortunately, the router is connected to an extension socket (fitted by BT), not much I can do about it. The master socket is inconveniently placed downstairs, I wouldn't trust my parents not to unplug it at random times

I certainly wouldn't be happy with monekying about with the faceplates or wiring...

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

phone sky and ask them to cap you, if there is nothing you can do at your end this would be the only answer

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Asking Sky to cap you should be your very last option. You may even be capped down below your previous speed. One simple thing that may improve things is removing the wire from the ring terminal (3), on any sockets and from behind the faceplate of the Master socket. This is very easy to do and provided you are using filters on all your phone connections will not make any difference. Also check that all your connections to the phone line go through a filter. This especially includes the Sky box.

With your present attenuation you should be able to achieve 6-7mb. It would be a pity to give this up to be capped maybe at 1.5mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth View Post
      Unfortunately, the router is connected to an extension socket (fitted by BT), not much I can do about it. The master socket is inconveniently placed downstairs, I wouldn't trust my parents not to unplug it at random times

I certainly wouldn't be happy with monekying about with the faceplates or wiring...

all i was saying was to speak to teir 3 and get capped lower ie 4 or 3 and see if this helps, if not go lower
      (only suggested as OP did not want to move router or fiddle with wires)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I followed the guide and rebooted the router during the busiest periods yesterday. So far that has worked...fingers crossed.

It may sound strange but I am not particularly concerned about speed. The speed of Base was quite adequate for my needs, it was more the useage caps that were restrictive.

Aside from gigantic patch files, World of Warcraft (which is my only "critical connection" as it doesn;t do for it to drop) is quite efficient and generates little traffic, so speed isn't a real issue in that either.

Thanks for the replies.