Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Constant disconnections, dismal speeds

This is a discussion on Constant disconnections, dismal speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a couple of issues with my Sky broadband - firstly, I am on the 8Mbps package, yet my ...

bluegrass is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Constant disconnections, dismal speeds

I have a couple of issues with my Sky broadband - firstly, I am on the 8Mbps package, yet my speed tests (from testmy.net) give speeds ranging between 0.4Mbps to 0.6Mbps, never higher. I also experience CONSTANT disconnections (not at regular intervals, but basically every 10-15mins, sometimes even more frequently, despite my connection being reported as "Good")

This is when I am connected wirelessly. Having tried wired, it gets stranger - I connect to the router without any problems, but cannot access the Internet (yet I can ping google with normal results, 30-50ms with 0% loss)

I have 3 housemates, 2 connected wirelessly, 1 wired. One of the wireless users is experiencing the same disconnection and poor speed issues, but one of them has no problems at all. The wired user also has no problems.

I have tried a few simple things to see if it makes any difference - disabling firewall, disabling wireless security, different channels, different ports, changed the microfilter - but all to no avail.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is hugely frustrating!

Below are my detailed stats from Bounce Sky Router.

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 16.8 24.0
      Attn(dB): 9.0 8.0
      Pwr(dBm): 17.8 11.9
      Max(Kbps): 11168 1104
      Rate (Kbps): 8128 448
      G.dmt framing
      K: 255(0) 15
      R: 0 0
      S: 1 1
      D: 1 1
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 255 15
      M: 1 1
      T: 1 1
      R: 0 0
      S: 1.0000 1.0000
      L: 2048 128
      D: 1 1
      Counters
      SF: 16114 16112
      SFErr: 0 0
      RS: 0 0
      RSCorr: 0 0
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 5247104 0
      Data Cells: 18952 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 0 0
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 17 0
      Total time = 4 min 57 sec
      SF = 16114
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 1 day time = 4 min 57 sec
      SF = 16114
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 15 minutes time = 4 min 57 sec
      SF = 16114
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Constant disconnections, dismal speeds

You have a wireless connection problem.

First thing disable UPnP in the router (you may need to then set up port forwarding for things like P2P). Disabling UPnP will almost certainly fix the regular (every 15 min disconnections)

Second, experiment with small changes to the router/aerial positioning and most importantly, channel numbers. That may improve your general connection quality.

Third, take some time reading the stickies in the forum. Your problem is answered again and again in these.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your quick response.

I have disabled uPnP (I did so a few minutes ago) and have experienced 2 disconnects already. Obviously this may just be bad luck, so hopefully this will go some way to correcting the issue, thanks.

I have tried different positions for the router/aerial and also many channel numbers, but all with no success.

I did also read the stickies in this sub-forum before posting my problem, and I don't feel any of them answered my problem.

Also, I would be more interested in finding out how to solve my problem with the wired connection, so if you have any suggestions for what might stop me from accessing the internet. Pinging sites is fine, but tracert's says unable to resolve target name.

Also, I was trying to find some more information on line attenuation but the link in your sig is broken and the search results did not shed much light on it. My line attenuation is 9.0db (down) and 8.0db (up) - is this low and could this be causing/adding to my problems?

Exchange:
      Thanks

From your earlier description I'm surprised that disabling UPnP hasn't had a bigger impact. To be doubly sure, log back into the router and make sure it is disabled.

Your wired connection sounds like it could be a DNS issue. Go into your PCs network settings and make sure it is set to obtain a DNS server automatically. If not that then is there a proxy set up?

Thanks for pointing out the broken link - not sure what's happened there. I'll get on to it. [Edit: fixed]

BTW if your line attenuation is only 9db then that's exceptionally good.
      Last edited by Saturday; 10-11-07 at 02:28 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Glad to hear something about my connection is good!

UPnP is disabled (i.e. "Turn UPnP on" is unchecked), although in the UPnP portmap table, the 'ACTIVE' column has the value yes. My connection appears to be dropping even more regularly today than it has been previously. In the past 5 minutes i've lost connection at least 3 times.

Obtain DNS server is set to automatic and I have no proxy configured. Could I enter the DNS server manually?

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you're seeing active UPnP connections then to state the obvious, UPnP is still active. You have clicked apply? If so then you need to reboot the router and any connected PCs. When you log back into the router you should find the UPnP table clear.

Well your DNS settings are as they should be. Yes you can set up DNS in each PC (not in the router). Many people, including me, favour OpenDNS. However, I don't understand why you're getting an apparent DNS problem wired but not wireless. Maybe someone else can help you there - try posting a new thread about this to the wireless forum.
      Last edited by Saturday; 10-11-07 at 05:04 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again for your help.

UPnP is definitely not active now, the table is clear. I had forgotten to reboot the router, my mistake.

I set up my browser to use OpenDNS as suggested but the same problem is still happening.

I'm not convinced my problem is DNS related - I left my wired connection to load google for 10 minutes and when I came back it had loaded half of the google logo. Also, would I be able to ping google if it was a DNS error? I also don't understand why I can ping but not tracert - do you have any ideas about what could be causing this? When I google'd it there were no solutions.

Ideally I'd like to fix my wired connection, but I will post in the wireless forum to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks again for your help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No, you're right - it doesn't sound like DNS.

Can you transfer files quickly and easily across your LAN? When connected to the router, is the ethernet port number showing green? I'm wondering if it's something as basic as a problem with your network card/driver.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The ethernet port is solid green, as is the Internet light.

I just tried transferring a file across the network and I could see the system causing problems, but could not actually access the shared directory (it said no permission but I'm guessing it timed out since it took about 2-3 minutes to try and load the directory)

I've also tried running the TCP/IP Optimizer as recommended elsewhere on these forums, but no luck.

With all this considered, would it suggest a problem with my network card? I've never had any problems with my network card/driver before, it's only since I've been using Sky broadband that this problem has surfaced.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
      With all this considered, would it suggest a problem with my network card? I've never had any problems with my network card/driver before, it's only since I've been using Sky broadband that this problem has surfaced.
      Sounds possible. Can't see how SkyBB could be anything to do with it - unless you installed McAfee

Has turning off UPnP made any difference to your disconnections?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast