Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing my BT number - Sky BB problems?

This is a discussion on Changing my BT number - Sky BB problems? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just had to change my BT landline number - BT originally gave me a number only one digit ...

le.bouch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kemptown, BRIGHTON
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Changing my BT number = Sky BB problems?

I have just had to change my BT landline number - BT originally gave me a number only one digit different to a main American Express switchboard number Quite a few Amex customers must by now be convinced that the bloke on their Corporate Card Helpline is one grumpy mofo - especially late at night...

The whole process of change was remarkably hassle-free and instant - as soon as I'd put the phone down to them the number was changed.

However.... as I said my goodbyes to the lady in India I was suddenly struck that I may have f*cked up my (so far) trouble free Sky BB by making this change. I quickly asked her if this was going to cause me any grief - her reply - "Thank you for calling BT have a nice day" - call terminated!

So, aside from the admin courtesy of letting Sky know that my home number has changed, will this change upset my BB? It's still working as I type (the change happened about 30 mins ago) so I'm guessing not? Am I getting the technology of BB confused with dial-up?

Can anyone advise?
      Last edited by le.bouch; 09-11-07 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Clarity

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Changing my BT number - Sky BB problems?

Within a month its fairly likely the broadband will be cut off and need to be reprovisioned - if Sky's systems don't pick up the change, it could potentially take them a long time just to get their own systems changed. Even if you were to inform them now, theres nothing they can do until the number is actually cut off...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

Thanks

Thanks for the info anyway - what do you suggest I do next?

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortunately, all I can suggest is to wait now. sometimes it will continue to work regardless, sometimes not and it can take up to a month or so (although thats just experience, I've never been told the exact amount of time). BT then cut off the broadband portion of the line and Sky need to reprovision it. There is a new process in Sky's systems which detects once a line has been cleared in this way but it isn't 100% effective. If it has been cleared in this way, once you phone up, they can reprovision it within 10 days.

Maybe invest in a dial up modem and get the details of an ISP now as well so that if you do lose it you have a backup connection (depending how important the internet is for you)
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

Thanks

Thanks - that's really helpful.

Assuming that it does get cut off by BT, and I do have to go through reprovisioning, does that mean I'm effectively starting again with Sky - new email addys and all that?

If so I may switch from Mid to Base - I've only ever managed 2.5MB! Or let me guess, will that throw another spanner in the works?