Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connecting at 128kbps on Max

This is a discussion on Connecting at 128kbps on Max within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had sky broadband for almost a year now and have been reasonably happy with the service. I live ...

pau1777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton in Makerfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Connecting at 128kbps on Max

I have had sky broadband for almost a year now and have been reasonably happy with the service.
      I live about 6km away from the exchange so my download speeds are quite low.
      From December last year to May this year I was connecting at 1504kbps and my line was quite stable. In May something happened and my speed dropped to under 1mbps after some discussions with Tier3 and trying various cables and filters I got my speed back up to 1280kbps and sky capped me to keep the line stable with no drop outs. No explanation was given as to why my speed had dropped but I was happy getting 1280kbps and it was very stable probably getting 1-2 dropouts per week.

Today when I get home from work I try to connect to the internet and my connection was 128kbps. I rebooted the router and I still got the same speed. I had a mess around with the wires from the master socket to the router as (I have a faceplate on my master socket and my router is connected directly to that) and nothing was changing. I tried another router, my Kcorp one, and my connection speed did increase but only to 416kbps.

I phone sky and go through the normal trouble shooting questions that everyone has to go through and I am put through to Tier3. We go through all the trouble shooting again and the guy tells me I live a long way from the exchange and I should only be getting 512kbps.
      I explain to him that I have been with sky for almost 12 months and I have been getting between 1280 and 1504kbps since I joined.
      He runs a few line tests and he says that my line has passed so he tries to increase my speed at the exchange but nothing happens!
      He tells me that he has again capped me at 1280 and the exchange is recognising this but my router is still only connecting at 416kbps.
      He then tries to cap my line at 512kbps and my router still only connects at 416.
      I tell him that I can try another router (my sky one) when I do this it again connects at 128kbps.

The guy at tier3 says he has no idea what the problem is so he will send me another sky router to try to see if that makes any difference, which it probably wont as I have already tried 2 different routers.
      My line stats have stayed the same
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 14.0 db
      When the new router comes and there is no change what can I do?

Thanks in advance
      Paul

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Connecting at 128kbps on Max

The guy also said that he capped my line back at 1280 but I was getting a lot of errors. Dont know if this has any influence on the problem but I an still connecting at 416kbps on my kcorp router and 128kbps on my sky router.
      Thanks

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

perhaps something happened to your phone line that made it noisier? try reportinga a fault to BT

Thanks

All tests have been done on my phone line by tier 3 the guy said that my line passed all tests.
      Thanks anyway for your help
      Paul

Thanks

I am now getting frequent disconnections even thoug my ine is only connected ar 416kbps.
      HELP!!!!!!!

Is there anything else I can do?
      Thanks in advance

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You have a long noisy line and there's nothing Sky can do to fix that.

You however, may be able to reduce the noise.

Noise is generated in the home phone wiring and in the BT line to the exchange. In most cases the local wiring is the sole or bigger problem. In your case due to your line length some noise will be arising in the BT line but probably not all.

There is a simple test to see where the noise is arising and if local, what the benefits of making changes will be. In summary you need to connect your router directly to your test socket (assuming you have an NTE5, master socket if you don't) and nothing else - no phone, digibox and most of all no extensions or splitters. Then see what your stats are. Post a before and after set and more advice can be given. If the stats are the same then the problem lies with the BT line.

More details can be found in the cabling and faceplate help forum.

(I'm amazed at Sky's willingness to hand out replacement routers in cases like these. It must be costing them a fortune).

Thanks

Hi Saturday,
      Thanks for the reply.
      I understand that I have a long noisy line. If there was something I could do about it I really would do (I have said to the wife about moving nearer to the exchange but she seems to think that internet speed is not a valid reason to move! I cand understand this myself)

Anyway what I cant understand, nor could I get the tier3 guy to understand that I have had a stable connection of between 1280-1504kbps for 12 months for this to drop by almost two thirds without me doing anything is really strange. For sky to say that my line wont handle anything over 512kbps is just silly as what have I been using for the past 12 months?

My Sky box is connected to the master socket via an ADSL faceplate. I have not moved any wires since yesterday and nothing has changed in my house.
      I did connect to the test socket while I was on the phone to sky last night and it didnt seem to make any difference the tier3 guy sould not even increase my speed to 512kbps let alone 1280 which I have had for the past 6 Months. (I have also had broadband at this address since 2004 on ADSL1 at 512kbps with f2s ISP)

I will post the stats for you of the router through my faceplate and through the test socket.

I too am suprised that he is sending me a new router as I really dont think this is the problem, and I told him this! I didnt want a new router as I dont use the first one sky sent me I usually use my Kcorp as it connects at a better speed! (I have tested this problem with both my sky router and my Kcorp one and I sill have the same issues)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pau1777 View Post

Anyway what I cant understand, nor could I get the tier3 guy to understand that I have had a stable connection of between 1280-1504kbps for 12 months for this to drop by almost two thirds without me doing anything is really strange. For sky to say that my line wont handle anything over 512kbps is just silly as what have I been using for the past 12 months?

My Sky box is connected to the master socket via an ADSL faceplate. I have not moved any wires since yesterday and nothing has changed in my house.
      Well something has changed

Noise can be caused by many things and there are clear seasonal factors that come into play e.g:
      • central heating systems coming on
      • street lighting coming on earlier
      • someone down the road using outdoor Christmas lights near the line (don't laugh - this can be a major problem)
      • increased rf through atmospheric effects
      • branches of trees rubbing against overhead cables in the wind
      • colder temperatures affecting overhead cables (they shrink and tighten)
      • flooding of underground cables
      • heavier internet usage by other customers (increases crosstalk)

and so on.

Also, filters/faceplates can/will fail over time. Your test socket will show if this is so.

All I can do is suggest you explore what options you can to improve your side of things and/or get BT to look at their line. Whatever the problem is, the least likely explanation is that it is something Sky have done or can do anything about.

Thanks

OK I cant get the sky router to connect at all now even through the test socket, although my Kcorp router does connect, but it does not give me any line stats

Here are the sky router stats that I did get
      System Up Time 00:03:06
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      LAN 10M/100M 78 0 0 97 0 00:03:04
      WLAN 11M/54M 4228 5304 0 5048 5288 00:03:01

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 288 kbps 384 kbps
      Noise Margin 5.7 db 12.0 db

System Up Time 00:04:37
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      LAN 10M/100M 91 0 0 71 0 00:04:35
      WLAN 11M/54M 6578 8270 0 5246 5476 00:04:32

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 288 kbps 384 kbps
      Noise Margin 5.5 db 12.0 db

I know the Attenuation is high but it has always been this high since I have had broadband installed in 2004.

Do I phone BT and say I have a fault with my line or will sky have to do this?
      Thanks again

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK I cant get the sky router to connect at all now even through the test socket
      And that's, as suggested earlier, with nothing else connected at all - no splitters, plug in extensions, phones, digiboxes etc?

Do I phone BT and say I have a fault with my line or will sky have to do this?
      You need to do it though be aware that they won't be at all helpful if you mention broadband. You need to "discover" that you have noisy voice calls (maybe you have?), hisses, crackles etc. Or you can't use your fax machine. Either of those is enough to get BT to investigate.

Note that if they find a fault with your home wiring you may end up with a bill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast