Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

On ADSL1 when I ordered Sky Max

This is a discussion on On ADSL1 when I ordered Sky Max within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have recently been connected with Sky broadband in my new house. However, I noticed that my Downstream Connection Speed ...

Batch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stroud
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation On ADSL1 when I ordered Sky Max

I have recently been connected with Sky broadband in my new house. However, I noticed that my Downstream Connection Speed is only 8096 kbps (upload 768 kbps).

I wrote to sky via email and explained that I though I had been setup on the Mid package by accident. They replied with the following:

I have spoke to our tier 3 support department and they have confirmed that you are on ADSL1. they have also confirmed that your line can not support ADSL2. This is due to the quality of your phone line and the distance from the exchange.

I am about 1 mile from the exchange and currently plugged into a extension socket that I wired myself in a brand new house.

Here are my figures I am after some advice on wheter the Sky reply is true or whether there is something else they can try.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.0 db 20.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.1 db 14.0 db

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: On ADSL1 when I ordered Sky Max

Unfortunately you have had the run around from T1.

With an attenuation of 32db on G.DMT (it would move to 35-36db on ADSL2+) and as evidenced by your healthy noise margin, your line will probably support ~13500kbps.

You need to speak to T3 not email. Call late at night and you should get put through OK.

BTW for the benefit of anyone wondering, Sky Max does not = ADSL2+. This is only suitable if the line is short/high quality, otherwise G.DMT will give much the same speed but (with the current firmware) a much more stable connection.
      Last edited by Saturday; 07-11-07 at 12:05 PM.

Batch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stroud
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thankyou for the information. Its very useful and I will try Sky on the phone tonight.

bigfatron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stepping Hill
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do they have a rough cut-off of where they will or won't put you on ADSL2? I'm on max also but due to being a good couple of miles away from the exchange then the downstream attenuation is about 50db so i'm currently on ADSL1 with a sync of about 3100 down and 768 up. It'd be nice to get some more out of it but obviously I won't bother trying to ask if its either not going to happen or it won't make things any better?

Exchange:
      Thanks

By ADSL1 I assume you mean you're on LLU G.DMT?

Sky use a line checker which gives an approximation only (based on distance I believe). Unfortunately they don't/aren't able to use the actual attenuation of the line or the line condition. This inevitably means that some people are put on G.DMT when ADSL2+ would be a better choice.

In your case it's academic. With an attenuation of 50db on G.DMT (which would increase to 53-54db on ADSL2+) you are way over the cut off point where ADSL2+ would offer a speed advantage. To benefit from ADSL2+ you need an attenuation <40db.

For Sky Connect customers, then there's no choice - it's BT's G.DMT or nothing.

A sync of 3100kbps with an attenuation of 50db is very poor. If you want more speed then you need to be looking elsewhere than ADSL2+. Can I suggest you read the first sticky in my signature for background info on ADSL and then the cabling and faceplate help forum.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      For Sky Connect customers, then there's no choice - it's BT's G.DMT or nothing.

A sync of 3100kbps with an attenuation of 50db is very poor. If you want more speed then you need to be looking elsewhere than ADSL2+. Can I suggest you read the first sticky in my signature for background info on ADSL and then the cabling and faceplate help forum.
      I'll have another look at the wiring tonight. I did have a quick look at everything yesterday though and the extension i'm running off (usual problem of PC upstairs, master socket down) appears to be decent cable and all connected correctly (I suspect it may have been installed by BT in the first place). Unfortunately because of where the master socket is then even connecting the router direct and running the PC off wireless isn't going to be terribly feasible either.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well after much swapping of cables it seemed the extension to upstairs was the problem after all. So cannibalised the phone cable off my old Sky box and after much angst trying to get the cable down through the boards into some trunking (the old extension went all round the houses) to the master socket i'm now sync'ing at a more respectible 4576/768. The attenuation is still what is was though at 49db/31.5db.

Exchange:
      Thanks

4576kbps isn't too shabby for your attenuation - a relatively noise free line would only support another meg or so. What's your noise margin? It's possible you've been capped at that level.

Attenuation, being largely a measure of line length won't change more than a couple of db at most with an improved connection.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Downstream margin is coming in at 7.9db and 14 upstream.

Cheers for the advice anyway, very useful.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Doubt you're capped if your noise margin is 7.9db. The shortfall between the ~6meg possible and the 4.5meg you have will be down to line noise.