Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cancel Failure?

This is a discussion on Cancel Failure? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've been a Sky customer since february and, after a few teething problems, have had no problems. Last week ...

davidc123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cancel Failure?

Hi,

I've been a Sky customer since february and, after a few teething problems, have had no problems. Last week my internet connection went down and I was in touch with sky and bt for a couple of days to find out why. Eventually Sky explained to me that my broadband account has been cancelled, and they had absolutely no explanation as to why. They then told me that I can't get reconnected because their spreadsheet has my account in a "cancel failure" state, even though they know the cancellation was successful.

They tell me I have to wait for this to sort itself out but refuse to give me any idea how long this could take. They even suggested that I may want to go with someone else, but since the broadband service was the main reason I signed up to sky in the first place (tv was just a bonus), I'd like to avoid this.

So I'm wondering if anyone else here has been through this, and if so how long can I expect to wait?

Thanks,
      David.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Cancel Failure?

id wait for an answer from TSx, but you could be looking at months...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds very confusing...

Cancel Failure means there is a rejected cease on your account. (IE the cancel failed). There is no way to remove this other than passing it to our software people to fix. However, if you're broadband is actually cancelled, then it should just be the cancel failure that needs removing, and then a new order putting through.

To get the cancel failure removed could take between a week and a month, but theres no way of telling. What makes it even more confusing is that depending on which department escalates it, it can be done faster or slower. The broadband will then need reprovisioning (another 10 days).

If there is no 'complete' cease on your account and just a rejected one, you are looking at 3 months plus to get a 'ghost cease' placed on the account.

edit: think I figured it out - has anything at all changed on your phone line recently, or has it been disconnected for any reason?

Sorry
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

davidc123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for the advice. Sounds like it may be worth going with someone else...

My girlfriend phoned sky yesterday and got an explanation, and it sounds like this is all down the to teething problems I mentioned before: I live in a flat which has a shared dish and sky hire a 3rd party to install boxes for these (even though they just have to plug it in). When I phoned sales the first time, the guy I spoke to assured me that I didn't need a 3rd party and signed me up for broadband and tv with a standard installation. Luckily I phoned back a few days later and discovered that this was indeed a mistake, so they cancelled my account and setup another with a 3rd party installation. About a month later everything was setup and my broadband seemed fine. Apparently what had actually happened was that the cancellation of the first account's broadband came back with a 'cancel failure', and I've been using that connection since I joined. They say that bt have only just managed to get around to cancelling it properly, but their system doesn't reflect that yet.

I'm not aware of sky's system but surely there's some way of changing the value attached to my account?

Luckily my employer pays for my broadband so financially it's no skin off my back, but it's certainly a huge inconvenience to me as a fast connection is essential for what I do. Not to mention the fact that I'm still tied into a contract with sky, even though they're not providing the services I signed up to...

Is it even worth writing a letter to try and speed it up? I'd still very much like to stay with sky.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidc123 View Post
      Hi, thanks for the advice. Sounds like it may be worth going with someone else...

My girlfriend phoned sky yesterday and got an explanation, and it sounds like this is all down the to teething problems I mentioned before: I live in a flat which has a shared dish and sky hire a 3rd party to install boxes for these (even though they just have to plug it in). When I phoned sales the first time, the guy I spoke to assured me that I didn't need a 3rd party and signed me up for broadband and tv with a standard installation. Luckily I phoned back a few days later and discovered that this was indeed a mistake, so they cancelled my account and setup another with a 3rd party installation. About a month later everything was setup and my broadband seemed fine. Apparently what had actually happened was that the cancellation of the first account's broadband came back with a 'cancel failure', and I've been using that connection since I joined. They say that bt have only just managed to get around to cancelling it properly, but their system doesn't reflect that yet.

I'm not aware of sky's system but surely there's some way of changing the value attached to my account?

Luckily my employer pays for my broadband so financially it's no skin off my back, but it's certainly a huge inconvenience to me as a fast connection is essential for what I do. Not to mention the fact that I'm still tied into a contract with sky, even though they're not providing the services I signed up to...

Is it even worth writing a letter to try and speed it up? I'd still very much like to stay with sky.
      If only it was that easy the software sky uses to manage accounts isn't the most flexible (in fact, its not flexible - computer says no happens a lot). You can write a letter or an email and it may help, I don't know if it would to be honest.

It still seems very strange that its gone to cancel failure. That shouldn't happen if you have an active broadband connection and it is then completely ceased. If the cease hasn't completed and hasn't been marked as completed then maybe its going to be on the lower side of that timescale.
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3