Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

why can i not go faster

This is a discussion on why can i not go faster within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i am on base pack and decided i wanted mid up to 8 meg, so i rang sky and they ...

jonnysnatchsniffer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

why can i not go faster

i am on base pack and decided i wanted mid up to 8 meg, so i rang sky and they told me that my line would only support 3.5 meg so what i want to know is how can i change this?
      i live 1.6 miles from the exchange and upon looking at router stats and looking at the how to read them in the sticky i am more confused
      my line attenuation is 48db down and 30db up
      my noise margin is 17.2 down and 14 up
      now the chart in the sticky says i should get around 6.5 meg
      it also mentions noise margin is better higher, any one shed any light on this as im very computer illiterate

2. Advertisement
      machasm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: why can i not go faster

Adsl technology is very dependant upon the quality of your telephone line back to the exchange.
      Generally the closer to the exchange you are the better quality the line is.
      A good quality line means a low Attenuation (this means how 'loud' the signal being transmitted by the exchange is after it reaches your modem).
      A high SNR (signal to noise ratio) is also desirable. This is how well the signal can be 'heard' against the background noise.
      It is difficult to say exactly what you will get but something in between those 2 figures would seem about right.
      It would still be better than the base package as this is throttled to 2M only.
      As to improving the statistics on your line you could try disconnecting everything and plug the modem in directly into the master socket through the supplied filter and look at your stats again.
      The figures that you then get will be as good as it is going to get I'm afraid unless you could somehow lay 2 brand new wires from your house to the exchange!
      Mac.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: why can i not go faster

for a definative answer post your line stats using the following utility
      Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4
      this will give us a starting point ie how your line is currently performing and will enable suggestions for improvement if there is any.
      make sure the router has been active for 24 hrs before using the utility
      cheers
      dave