Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using an upstairs telephone point to connect....

This is a discussion on Using an upstairs telephone point to connect.... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just thinking out loud really,but as my PC is based upstairs it would be convenient for me to use the ...

xpeterpx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using an upstairs telephone point to connect....

Just thinking out loud really,but as my PC is based upstairs it would be convenient for me to use the upstairs telephone point to connect my router to rather than the main one downstairs -is this likely to cause me any problems in terms of service quality..

Thanks
      Peter

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Using an upstairs telephone point to connect....

Yes it can cause problems with speed and stability of connection but the only way to tell for sure would be to try it! But make sure it is a hard wired extension not one of these plug in jobbies and also worth checking the wires going to the extensions only have wires connected to pins 2 and 5 in the master socket and in the extension sockets as extra wires connected can cause noise and problems.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Yes it can cause problems with speed and stability of connection but the only way to tell for sure would be to try it! But make sure it is a hard wired extension not one of these plug in jobbies and also worth checking the wires going to the extensions only have wires connected to pins 2 and 5 in the master socket and in the extension sockets as extra wires connected can cause noise and problems.
      Thanks for the advice.
      I'll take a look later at the wiring,but there is already a telephone plugged in to both the master and extension socket upstairs so using an adaptor is always going to be needed(ones provided with router).
      If there are additional wires attached will there be any harm in 'unattaching' them without causing problems to the telephone service..?

thanks for the ongoing advice.
      pete

Lloytron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      I had the same setup. I rigged up an extension from upstairs and connected my router to the point downstairs. It was really bad, I kept on getting freezes, speed drops and disconnects the whole time. I was getting on average 300mbps, occasionally 700mbps after a reboot.

I thought it was the router until I found this forum. I then plugged the router into my main socket (which is upstairs in my bedroom, not ideal) and I got 1.5MBps but could only connect via wifi, which was pretty unreliable in itself.

Following the great advice on here I wired a high quality adsl cable from the point upstairs instead (ADSL Nation On-Line Shop)

The difference was staggering. All my speed and reliability problems went away, and I now get 1.5MBps constant.

machasm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As Koala5 said try it and see.
      If your wiring is any good then hopefully it wont make much difference.
      However, it would be best to attach the router directly to the master socket and then connect your PC to the router via Ethernet or WiFi.
      If you don't want to use WiFi you can also use these to connect your PC to the router.
      Also when you talk about the adaptor supplied with the router I am assuming you mean the ADSL filter?
      If so then you will need to put one on EACH extension where you have telecom equipment connected. This includes your sky digibox as well as other phones.
      Mac.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xpeterpx View Post
      Thanks for the advice.
      I'll take a look later at the wiring,but there is already a telephone plugged in to both the master and extension socket upstairs so using an adaptor is always going to be needed(ones provided with router).
      If there are additional wires attached will there be any harm in 'unattaching' them without causing problems to the telephone service..?

thanks for the ongoing advice.
      pete
      You can use the supplied filter to gain the extra connection upstairs for the router and no disconnecting the extra wires wont effect the phones, they were only really required for the old round dial style phones. Modern phones dont require the extra connections.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all the help guys.
      I'll let you know how I get on when installation day arrives!

Pete

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh,by the way(didn't want to start a new thread for this)-I have my sky box and telephone line already connected via a double filter on the master socket downstairs -is it possible to get a triple filter for sky/phone/router..?

Am I thinking along the right lines..!

Cheers
      Pete

Lloytron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xpeterpx View Post
      Oh,by the way(didn't want to start a new thread for this)-I have my sky box and telephone line already connected via a double filter on the master socket downstairs -is it possible to get a triple filter for sky/phone/router..?

Am I thinking along the right lines..!

Cheers
      Pete
      I have my sky box and telephone line connected to the adsl filter through a double adaptor so yes, you would be able to plug in your sky box and telephone in one socket into the ADSL filter, and the router into the other filter socket.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Perfect-thanks very much again