Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Really slow upstream on new connection

This is a discussion on Really slow upstream on new connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I've scoured the forum as best I can but haven't found anyone else reporting the same issue, so ...

Skoptsie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Muswell Hill
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Really slow upstream on new connection

Hi all,

I've scoured the forum as best I can but haven't found anyone else reporting the same issue, so I hope a wise soul here can this relative newbie.

Since I moved into my new house about 2 months ago, I've experienced really poor speeds compared to what I'd expect distance-wise, especially upstream. My router is currently reporting:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3776 kbps 64 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.7 db 3.0 db

The data above is pretty much average for what I've been getting so far. I've also had connection problems, drops etc. lasting up to a week at a time but usually for more like 24 hours.

Tier 1 support are giving me the runaround, saying this is the best my line can handle and won't transfer me to Tier 3. Surely there's some mistake? Could it be that BT have given me a duff line at their end or is my router stuffed?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Advertisement
      lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Really slow upstream on new connection

i dont like the look of that upstream noise margin for one - thats one problem, also your attenuation sugests you have quite a long line (your telephone wire basicaly) to be honest you aint gona get much more then your getting, though with some help from this site we may be able to improove your connection a little.

others will be along to help through the day, im away for a cuppa, sorry its not good news at the min.

also your profile says you are on max - id say that you are not on max, you need to post your detailed router stats to confirm it.

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Has everything connected to the phone line got a filter? Phones, Fax, Sky Box, Alarm? Unplug all telephony devices, and resync your router, does it improve? Could a filter be faulty?

Is your router connected at the master socket? If it isn't it would be worth plugging it in there, and seeing what the stats say then, as it could be to do with internal wiring in your new house.

Its also worth plugging your router into the test socket, which can be found behind the small lower face plate, so you'll need to remove a couple of screws on your master socket.

If that improves your connection significantly, then it's your extension wiring which is causing the problem. Which can be over come by removing the orange wire connected to the faceplate you have just removed. You only need the two blue wires, for the extensions to work.

If you completely irradiate any possible issues from within your home, it *could* just be the length of your line, as you'll appreciate, it won't be a straight line from you to the exchange.

Hope something in there is helpful.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out when I get home tonight.

I'm connecting to the master socket (the only socket in my place actually) with my microfilter and the only other device using that is the phone. I've been talking to Sky on that phone while working through their tests though, so I'll try it with the phone removed. I've tried three different microfilters and four extension cables of varying lengths, all giving the same results.

There is no test socket behind my faceplate, I'm guessing it's a relic from the 80s. I'll check for the orange wire though.

I'm certainly paying for the Max package but I'll check the detailed stats tonight.

Thanks again for the input and wish me luck!

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Thanks

You're welcome.

If you dont have an NTE5 master with a removable lower half, then the wires behind the box belong to BT, and playing with them could be dodgy.

How is the line from an audio quality point of view? If there is noise, BT might look at fixing it for free. However as soon as you mention ADSL to the faults line folk the 'you need to speak to your ISP' script starts.

Good Luck

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Your problem has nothing to do with "a long line" - actually, 53db isn't all that bad and will in theory support a downstream sync of ~4000+kbps. The way ADSL works, the upstream bandwidth is in effect reserved first so you'd also expect to see close to the full 768kbps that Max offers.

Even without seeing your full router stats I can see there's a major problem with your line. The 64kbps upstream is very unusual (for reasons indicated above) and the most obvious reason would be that Sky have done something odd and capped you. However, looking at your upstream noise margin of only 3db this isn't likely. What is almost certainly happening is that you have a large amount of noise on your line bang slap in the middle of the frequencies used for the upstream connection (which is the part closest to that used for the voice part of the call).

My guess is that you either have a faulty microfilter (not likely if you've tried 3), it is incorrectly fitted (filter goes in the phone socket, router in the router socket of the filter and phone in the phone part) or you have a faulty phone which is noisier than the filter can cope with (try without the phone). Incorrectly fitted sounds the most likely e.g. you're running an extension off the phone socket and are connecting the router directly or indirectly to the phone part of the filter or have a phone connected to the router part. The router must be connected to the router part of the filter and anything else has to be connected to the phone part.

If it's not your connection setup or phone then it looks as though you have a very odd line noise problem.
      Last edited by Saturday; 01-11-07 at 12:24 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

After weeks of being made to chase my tail by tier 1, the tier 3 team finally got to the root of my connection problems.

It turned out there was a problem was with the socket my line was plugged into at the exchange! So as of this morning I've been moved to a different point and am happy to report that my upstream is a much healthier 768kbps

Why this wasn't tested properly at the time of my initial connection is a whole different matter, but for now I'm just happy to have a happy ending to all this.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

problems arent identified until the user reports them....as for testing before hand, the DSLAM is Sky property and the ports are configured remotely. Might have been BT not jumpering the line correctly initially or the port (as in this case) may have been faulty...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket