Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

sync speed?

This is a discussion on sync speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by machasm Hi, Had a look at your exchange. Its tiny! only 1700 residential users. Anyway, quite right ...

Andie v6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: sync speed?

Quote Originally Posted by machasm View Post
      Hi,
      Had a look at your exchange. Its tiny! only 1700 residential users.
      Anyway, quite right no LLU there.
      Back to your question.
      It may be possible that your Linksys router was a little more tolerable to lower SNR than your SKY router.
      Since using your Sky router Sky may have tweaked the SNR target a little higher to gain more stability.(I am assuming that your SKY router was flapping before)
      This might be why you now connect at a lower sync rate. Also as a matter of note you are connected using Interleave mode as opposed to FAST mode.
      This also is an indication that previous connections may not have been very stable as this is normally switched to interleave to improve stability at the expense of Ping times (normally adds around 20ms to ping times).
      The Link in my previous post is great at explaining alot of things that go on behind the scenes for MaxDSL products (Sky connect).
      Mac.

lol, yeah, its a tiny village

if my router was (flapping) would i know abt it?

i can confirm my ping is and average 48-51 on speed test.net

just ran a test and its now 42?

will check the link fully

2. Advertisement
      machasm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You probably wouldn't have been aware of your router flapping as it generally happens at night (Since SNR is worse).
      By the time you start to use it it would have stabilised at around the 7500 sync rate and the SNR would have been improving during the day.
      Normal ping times are around 20-30ms for FAST connections and 40-50ms for Interleaved connections.
      Mac.

madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andie v6 View Post
      what im trying to get to the bottom off is (why its changed since on sky connect) when its always been stable with never any drop out?

and always been stable with bt and never changed?

im sure if you lost speed with a new product , you would want to know why?
      yeah absoloutely i didnt read the 1st post correctly and thought you were a new customer complaining about not getting the full 8mb, appologies.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madcat View Post
      yeah absoloutely i didnt read the 1st post correctly and thought you were a new customer complaining about not getting the full 8mb, appologies.

no problem

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by machasm View Post
      You probably wouldn't have been aware of your router flapping as it generally happens at night (Since SNR is worse).
      By the time you start to use it it would have stabilised at around the 7500 sync rate and the SNR would have been improving during the day.
      Normal ping times are around 20-30ms for FAST connections and 40-50ms for Interleaved connections.
      Mac.
      thankyou

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andie v6 View Post
      i have been with bt total b/b max for 2 years and always sync'ed @8126kbps

switched to sky connect approx 2 weeks ago and the last two days cannot sync above 7680 kbps ?
      There are two basic modes that ADSL can operate in - fast path and interleaved. BT normally use fast path unless a line is very poor. Sky have always used interleaved regardless of whether the line is good, bad or indifferent.

Compared to fast path, interleaved mode uses more of the connection bandwidth for error correction data and this is why the amount of real data that actually gets passed down from the exchange to your router is slightly less now you're on Sky.

In all honesty though, there are other factors which play a bigger role in how responsive your broadband connection is - I doubt whether a half-megabit difference in sync speed would be all that noticeable.

machasm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      There are two basic modes that ADSL can operate in - fast path and interleaved. BT normally use fast path unless a line is very poor. Sky have always used interleaved regardless of whether the line is good, bad or indifferent.

Compared to fast path, interleaved mode uses more of the connection bandwidth for error correction data and this is why the amount of real data that actually gets passed down from the exchange to your router is slightly less now you're on Sky.

In all honesty though, there are other factors which play a bigger role in how responsive your broadband connection is - I doubt whether a half-megabit difference in sync speed would be all that noticeable.
      I wasn't aware of that James67. You learn something everday.
      I assume that the reason I am on FAST mode is that I am using SKYs connect product and not one of their LLU packages?
      Mac.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

To be honest, I thought they put all customers on interleaved. Though I did read elsewhere that they will now put people on fast path if they request it - maybe that implies that new customers will be connected using the mode most appropriate to their line, i.e., fast path if their line is reasonably good, and interleaved if not.

Or it could just have been a configuration "error". There have been cases of that in the past.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12