Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cancelling Sky in Contract

This is a discussion on Cancelling Sky in Contract within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Has anyone cancelled sky within contract? My contract is due to end in January but because they refuse to give ...

ithompson72 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chichester
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cancelling Sky in Contract

Has anyone cancelled sky within contract? My contract is due to end in January but because they refuse to give me a better upstream (won't give me max even though I get 8Mb on mid) I have decided to cut my losses and move to another supplier.

However, when I sent them the cancellation request I asked if they could let me know how much it would be to terminate the contract. I assumed it would be a matter of paying the remaining subscriptions (so no more than 20).

In their response they have said they will supply a Mac (although it hasn't come yet) but that they were unable to tell me how much I would pay for terminating the contract.

Firstly, it seems a bit odd that they can't tell me this (or at least give me some idea).

Secondly, has anyone actually cancelled early and paid the termination charge? If so then can you tell me how much it was?

Thanks for any responses...

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Cancelling Sky in Contract

Quote Originally Posted by ithompson72 View Post
      Has anyone cancelled sky within contract? My contract is due to end in January but because they refuse to give me a better upstream (won't give me max even though I get 8Mb on mid) I have decided to cut my losses and move to another supplier.

However, when I sent them the cancellation request I asked if they could let me know how much it would be to terminate the contract. I assumed it would be a matter of paying the remaining subscriptions (so no more than 20).

In their response they have said they will supply a Mac (although it hasn't come yet) but that they were unable to tell me how much I would pay for terminating the contract.

Firstly, it seems a bit odd that they can't tell me this (or at least give me some idea).

Secondly, has anyone actually cancelled early and paid the termination charge? If so then can you tell me how much it was?

Thanks for any responses...
      Interestingly, if you use a mac code, one of two things will happen

either

1 - you will be charged 10 and can ask for the charge to be cancelled once the 12 months is up.

2 - Sky will recieve notification a mac code has been used and then stop charging you immediately.

As far as I'm aware, theres no procedure for 'clawback' of broadband revenues, and the above is hit and miss - some people get released without charge, some don't and continue to pay for the 12 months.
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Well if your on Mid, the most you'll get on upstream is 416kbps, thats the limit for the package, so if thats what your getting then there is no reason to cancel. The only way to get a higher upstream speed is to go to the Max package.

If its a matter that you tried to get on Max, and they said no, its probably due to capacity issues at the exchange, so they wouldnt be able to get you on Max package.

If thats the case, then what your saying is you want to cancel because you cant get the package you want? Somehow I think Sky wont see that as a valid cancellation reason.

With the MAC code, Sky cant stop you physically transferring your service to another provider. But they will still charge you for the Sky Service, seeing as your still in contract. So if you move service, you will have to pay for 2 for a few months.

P.S. I dont think there is a termination charge at Sky. If you have a legitimate reason for cancelling early, Sky will cancel you with no charge. if not, I have never heard of anyone paying off the rest of the contract and cancelling. It has always been that they get charged each month till their contract was supposed to end.
      Last edited by indefatigable; 29-10-07 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added more info

ithompson72 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chichester
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks indefatigable.

I am cancelling because they refuse to put me on Max because "my line can't take it". It isn't a capacity issue at the exchange. The line is perfectly capable of taking Max and I would have been happy with ADSL1 on Max with the higher upstream. They aren't willing to do any of this.

Now, that means I am cancelling the contract early. I don't have a problem with that and just wanted them to tell me what the cancellation charge was. But apparently they can't but will issue a mac anyway.

I have posted just to see if anyone else had experience of this to give me some idea of if there are any "hidden" cancellation charges (I'm happy to pay up the remainder of the contract, preferably as an upfront lumpsum, at most it'll be 20).

Thanks also to TSx for your response, I'm happy with either of those scenarios. I'd be happy to pay 30 to cancel the contract I just don't want to suddenly have a bill for 100 because of some cancellation charge that I can't find.

I have to say that generally the sky service has been very good. But due to a few things that I'm doing I want higher upstream which sky cannot supply but others can. So, unfortunately that means I will be moving on.