Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wierd interference problem

This is a discussion on Wierd interference problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Could anyone please help with a strange problem I have when my wife boots up her PC. My own computer ...

jefword is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01623
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wierd interference problem

Could anyone please help with a strange problem I have when my wife boots up her PC.

My own computer is connected to the Netgear router with a LAN cable in socket No.1 This works perfectly.

My wifes PC in the next room has a Safecom usb wireless adapter plugged in. This also works perfectly, as long as my computer is switched off.

Often, but not always, when she boots her PC it causes my internet connection to stop or slow to a snails pace. Hers also slows or stops. This sometimes still happens even if she removes the wireless adapter before booting.

Sometimes this problem can be avoided if she boots, then inserts the wireless adapter. Both our internet connections are then fine.

Many times when we have had this problem I have found that booting my PC after she has booted hers, or rebooting mine will solve it.

I could understand it if it was the adapter causing the problem, but for it to do this when it is not connected and there is no connection between the two computers is a mystery.

Anyone have any ideas?

Don't know if this is relevant but I used to be with Tiscali, using a Sagem modem. This was fine unless a treadmill which is in our garage was running.
      This would cut off my connection & I would get a message appear, something to do with bandwith if I remember correctly.

Thanks in advance, Jeff
      Last edited by jefword; 28-10-07 at 05:30 PM.

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Wierd interference problem

Quote Originally Posted by jefword View Post
      This sometimes still happens even if she removes the wireless adapter before booting.
      If it wasn't for this bit I would suggest that her laptop has been set up with a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.2. on its wireless network card. This would allow her to work fine with you switched off and the router's DHCP would then give you 192.168.0.3 when it saw her PC online. With your PC switched on first, the router would give you 192.168.0.2 then the laptop would cause an IP conflict problem when switched on.

Either change the laptop to get its IP address automatically, or change the DHCP range in the router to begin with 192.168.0.3 reserving 192.168.0.2 for the laptop.

There may another cause - but I can't think of it!

EDIT: I just noticed we are both on the same exchange!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

To take eyemdee's suggestion a bit further, if you are only using 2 PCs, it may be better to give your PCs manual addresses and turn off the DHCP server completely. This would remove any chance of IP conflicts.

It is very difficult to see how switching on her PC without the adapter, can effect your connection. The only way I can see this happening is if your electric wiring is a bit dodgy and it causes a power drop to the router or your PC. Do you ever notice your lights dimming when you switch the kettle on?

Treadmills, by the way, are notorious for causing connection problems, as will any large electric motor kicking in.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jefword is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01623
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks to both of you. I never expected to get replies so quickly.

I'll give your suggestions a try.

Never noticed the lights flickering when the kettle goes on.

Thanks also for the info about the treadmill. I didn't realise it was such a common problem.

Thanks again.
      Last edited by jefword; 28-10-07 at 11:19 PM.