Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cant collect email in outlook 2007

This is a discussion on cant collect email in outlook 2007 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After weeks and weeks of errors and problems with sky talk and broadband, i finally got an account set up. ...

debra999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01270
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down cant collect email in outlook 2007

After weeks and weeks of errors and problems with sky talk and broadband, i finally got an account set up.

I set up my sky broadband after switching providers (big mistake) and i am unable to collect email in outlook 2007. The test email account settings works fine, and it all seeems ok, but it is not putting emails in to inbox. I spoke to sky on there expensive call number who basically siad it was there fault as there new google server is the problem. They said it was a problem and affecting many users. They refused to go through the settings in outlook as they dont support this, and because i can collect mail off there website ok, then they were providing the service they promised. They said that no one uses outlook anyway, people these days collect mail off web YEAH RIGHT!!! the whole NHS uses outlook for a start.

So i found the customer services very unhelpful. In fact verging a joke. The level of knowledge was pitifull. I know the settings are right in outlook, as i took them off the web. Does anyone know a way around this?
      I tried the new settings pop.tools and if i use them it errors when i try to test settings.

Im thinking now i may as well set up a yahoo account instead of my sky email account as at least that works!! Its thumbs down for sky for me im afraid. If it wasnt for wanting the sky plus package, i would cancel the broadband completely. I do not recommend them at all

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: cant collect email in outlook 2007

are you on the google email? if so, i assume you have it set to send email to your client? if not, thats your problem...

and Sky are right to refuse you the settings to Outlook as they don't support 3rd party mail clients...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im well aware sky dont make/distribuite or support outlook. All the other ISP dont seem to have a problem with helping there paying customers! And all of the ones i have been with quite happily give the settings that work!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

unfortunatley sky seem either incapable or unwilling to tell me which mail server i am on so i cannot check any of your comments

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

i take it you're on the google email system, so follow these instructions...

1. Log in to your Sky Email account.
      2. Click Settings at the top of any Sky Email page.
      3. Click Forwarding and POP in the orange Mail Settings box.
      4. Select Enable POP For All Mail or Enable POP For Mail That Arrives From Now On.
      5. Choose the action you'd like your Sky Email messages to take after they are accessed with POP.
      6. Configure your POP client* and click Save Changes.

To configure Outlook, do the following...

1. Enable POP in your Sky Email account (see above).
      2. Open Outlook 2003 (in your case, 2007).
      3. Click the Tools menu, and select E-mail Accounts...
      4. Select Add A New E-mail Account, and click Next.
      5. Choose POP3 as your server type by clicking the radio button, and click Next.
      6. Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:
      User Information:
      - Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.
      - Email Address: Enter your full Sky Email address (username@sky.com)
      Server Information:
      - Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.tools.sky.com
      - Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.tools.sky.com
      Login Information:
      - User Name: Enter your Sky Email username (including @sky.com)
      - Password: Enter your Sky Email password
      7. Click More Settings... and then click the Outgoing Server tab.
      8. Check the box next to My Outgoing Server (SMTP) Requires Authentication and select Use Same Settings As My Incoming Mail Server.
      9. Click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to This Server Requires An Encrypted Connection (SSL) under Incoming Server (POP3).
      10. Check the box next to This Server Requires An Encrypted Connection (SSL) under Outgoing Server (SMTP), and enter 465 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) box.
      11. Click OK.
      12. Click Test Account Settings... After receiving 'Congratulations! All tests completed successfully', and click Close.
      13. Click Next, and then click Finish.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by debra999 View Post
      unfortunatley sky seem either incapable or unwilling to tell me which mail server i am on so i cannot check any of your comments
      Ah, that's an easy question to answer. Go to Sky Broadband - Home and login using your email name (note that @sky.com should be entered here) and password, and then click on the Login link. If that takes you to a page which says, "Sky Broadband is getting even better..." and gives a link to the new Sky tools pages, then you're definitely on the new system.

And if you are on the new system, then you need to be using pop.tools.sky.com and smtp.tools.sky.com

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanx for that imnottheenemy. I didnt know about those settings. Ive never had isp work this way before. ive normally just set up the router at my end and outlook from the settings provided by the isp. Shame sky didnt mention that to me, or provide a leaflet or something. Ive been all over the web thru the help trying to work this out. It still doesnt explain why there telling me that loads of people are having this problem abnd its the google server. Im at work at present so cant try it, but will tomorrow when i get up. let you know m8. Thanks for that. How easy was that?!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks matey, it looks like i am on the new server. Least i found that out.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ive posted a reply. in this thred. New to this web page, and just noticed i can reply this way instead.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The outlook settings ive got in at present are right anyhow, looking at your info. Fingers crossed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast