Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ISP password

This is a discussion on ISP password within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, hope you can help. I have sky broadband and some unfriendly house mates. I've now changed my password ...

purple667 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01753
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ISP password

Hi there, hope you can help. I have sky broadband and some unfriendly house mates. I've now changed my password on my pc so they don't have access to this, however there are still using my internet by plugging there own PC straight in the phone socket (they must have there own modem).

Do you now if it is possible to set up a password to connect to mi ISP? to stop them doing this?

many thanks

or any other ideas?

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: ISP password

Eh? That doesn't make any kind of sense really. Your Sky router has the connection username and password built in to it, so no-one can just plug in their own ADSL modem and use your connection, unless they've extracted the username and password from your router.

If they've done that, then you're a bit stuffed really, because the connection username and password can't be changed by the customer. In fact the password can't be changed by Sky either - they'd have to disable your existing router and send you a new one. And you should make a point of changing the router administrator's password (by going to http://192.168.0.1/ - default username admin, default password sky - and clicking on the Set Password link, when you get that new router), so that when that arrives, they won't be able to extract the connection username and password from it. Although if they have physical access to the router, it is possible to reset the administrator's password, so that'll be no good unless you can physically secure the router.

But are you sure they not just breaking into your wireless network? That's a more plausible scenario. You can get around that by changing the wireless security key. Go to http://192.168.0.1/ and click on Wireless Settings, then enter a new Network Key in the box near the bottom of the page and click on Apply. You'll have to put the same Network Key into your PC, of course, to make it work. Or better yet, connect your PC to the router using a wired Ethernet connection and disable wireless networking altogether.

What makes you think that they're using your connection? If you describe the reasoning behind your suspicions, it might be possible to work out if and how they are doing it. Then it would be easier to give you advice on how to stop them doing it.

paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

install this software NETWORKMAGIC

Install Network Magic Using This Software You Can Ad You House Mates Pcs To The A Network.but Wait Then You Can Block There Access To The Net You Ned The Software On All Pcs But You Can Just Install It On Yours If You Wish.

Google Networkmagic Free

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: install this software NETWORKMAGIC

And How's That Going To Help, Then?

Quite honestly, I really don't think that is a solution to the OP's problem.

paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Lets See What Purple As To Say About Whos Right

James67 Oh Ya If You Want To Make A Personnal Crack At Me Bring It On Iam Ready

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by commandercarr View Post
      Lets See What Purple As To Say About Whos Right

The point is that he has unfriendly housemates - so how is he going to get them to install something? Furthermore, if they are using their own router then they wont even be on his network...

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commandercarr View Post
      Personal Crack? What On Earth Do You Mean By That? Please Elaborate.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

iT iS dIFFICULT tO rEAD pOSTS wHERE eVERY lETTER sTARTS wITH cAPS

I think wireless is the correct answer. If the OP is not using the wireless point he/she should turn it off. If they are, then they should change the default key. This is easy for anyone to find out, by just looking at the router. They could also use the Wireless Access List to make unauthorized use more difficult.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

they must have got your mac address from your router then put it onto theirs [cant see how that would work ]or have u disabled wireless on your router as all they need is to look under ur sky router and all the info is their and thye just use your wireless connection ,passwording your pc wont stop them using your connection ,and i dont think you can password your router to only allow your access point

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

MAC address is not going to help without the ADSL password. It is unlikely they would have it, unless they were visiting this forum of course

There is the possibility that they have a friend who was willing to give them his Sky ADSL username and password. I still think unsecured wireless is the best bet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.