Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Telephone extenders and adsl modems.

This is a discussion on Telephone extenders and adsl modems. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am currently with Virgin broadband but having looked at costs, I am thinking of changing to sky as I ...

congress is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Telephone extenders and adsl modems.

I am currently with Virgin broadband but having looked at costs, I am thinking of changing to sky as I currently have two sky boxes in my house.The problem is I only have one phone socket into my house.

Into this main socket I currently have a double adaptor,One is occupied by the telephone connection for one Sky box and the other by a connection from a telephone extender which is sending the signal to my HD box in another room.

If I were to get an adsl modem would it be able to plug into a three way adaptor on the phone socket and will the signal be affected?

I could try o2 broadband as they are currently offering a 90 days grace on their new service but rather than go through all the aggro , i wondered if anyone on here knows?

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Telephone extenders and adsl modems.

Best bet would be an ADSL nation face plate (splits at socket) this way modem would connect via diff socket from telephone signal

Have a search on skyuser and you will find loads of info (cabling and faceplate would be a good place to start)

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

with a microfilter, you put this in before the double adapter, and you would then connect the double adapter to the phone socket on the microfilter. The broadband box would then connect to the internet side of the microfilter. Its cheaper this way, and means you wouldn't have to mess around with the socket. The socket Richone suggested does the exact same as a microfilter, and you get 3 microfilters free with Sky, so no extra costs.

congress is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thats confused me.

The pic attached is how it iss et up at moment.the cable into top of filter is sky.The adaptor at front is the telephone extender with normal phone connection.Looking at this, the only other part open is another normal telephone connection.Can anyone advise with links what would work with this to enable me to add an adsl modem.

Could a mod move this to the cables forum.Thanks
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Telephone extenders and adsl modems.-27102007016.jpg  

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

basically have it set up as follows:-

Wall socket --> Microfilter --> everything you have currently connected goes into microfilter 'telephone' socket --> broadband plugs into microfilter 'adsl/internet' socket

Easy

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

From what I can see you have an old type socket, so you would not be able to use an ADSL faceplate. As you only have one socket with no extensions it would not make any difference any way, apart from appearance.

THIS page may give you a better idea of how you would set it up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.