Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moved 600 metres @20% of before

This is a discussion on Moved 600 metres @20% of before within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Having moved 600 metres from the 0161626 to the 0161624 my speed has dropped from a sync speed of up ...

smith9891 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161626
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Moved 600 metres @20% of before

Having moved 600 metres from the 0161626 to the 0161624 my speed has dropped from a sync speed of up to 5000 down to 1300 with the same sky equipment & PC. Its a newer house and although I am slightly further from the exchange I cnat believe the speed difference would be this much! I have only just got connected so could this be the issue?
      Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Moved 600 metres @20% of before

would only make a difference if you were on connect as they seem to have a training period (lasts about 10 days)

other thing to check would be the wiring, are you using an extenstion

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

At a previous sync speed of 5Mbit/sec, it suggests that you were already quite a distance from the exchange. And the thing about newer houses is that when the phone lines were first laid in the area, they would have been routed to serve the existing houses. When new houses are built they often have phone lines which are even further off the crow's flight path than older houses, if you see what I mean. So that extra 600m could easily mean an extra kilometre of cable length.

When you read off the sync speeds for ADSL off this graph…

…you can see that an extra kilometre of cable can correspond to a big drop in maximum sync speed, potentially as big as the reduction in speed that you're seeing.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I dont know if the area code has anything to do with it maybe different equipment in the exchange ? These houses were built @8-9 years ago, our old house was built @1900!
      I don't think we are on connect but I wil wait and see.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

624 xxxx and 626 xxxx numbers seem to be on the same exchange and it is enabled for Sky's LLU services, so unless they ran out of ports between you moving house (which seems rather unlikely) you'll not be on the Sky Broadband Connect service. It's unlikely that the two numbers will be treated especially differently at the exchange.

Your old house was built well before mass deployment of telephone, so when the GPO decided to install telephone cables some years later, the houses they wanted to serve were already there, and so it was sensible to run them alongside those houses. As a result the cable runs tended to be more direct.

Move forward 100 years and a developer builds some new houses. They're not going to dig a new trench all the way back to the exchange to ensure that the phone lines follow the most direct route. They'll dig a trench that branches off from some existing underground conduit, and it might not even be the nearest existing conduit if that one doesn't have any spare space.

Obviously it's not true in all cases, but often it's the older houses that have the most direct route to the exchange, while newer houses end up with cable lengths that are twice the direct distance or even more.

And you can see from the graph that the typical maximum speed at 4km is about 2Mbit/sec - a hell of a lot less then it is at 3km, about 6Mbit/sec.

You may have to live with this reduction in speed, unless you can find some way of improving things like internal telephone wiring.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that James. Sky seem to capped the download at 1152 so I guess I'll have to live with it. It @ the same speed I had when BT said that was the max I would ever see at my old house. Swapped to sky & 4000 connection speeds. BT are such liars!

If I always sync at exactly the same speed am I being capped? At my old house the speed was always different and for the first couple of days I was getting @1400. Not much difference I know but every little helps!