Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Slow Connection Speed

This is a discussion on Slow Connection Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i would never hang up on a customer, i would advise to phone after 9pm as really gets quiet then ...

madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Connection Speed

i would never hang up on a customer, i would advise to phone after 9pm as really gets quiet then and minimal delays contacting Tier 3, btw wait times are at 19mins now and will only get worse until bout 9 ish.

and as for Tier 1 we do have guidelines that prevent us from getting you straight through to tier 3 if wait is excessive, not that we are trying to be difficult.

also phoning at this time of night all calls are handled in the UK i believe until 11pm

2. Advertisement
      machasm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It sounds like you might have a 'stuck' profile.
      This could happen if your router has ever 'synced' at a really low rate (under 1204) within the last 3 days.
      If you are consistently connecting at 8M though, this is hard to believe.
      You will need to contact Sky and tell them your problem.
      Keep at it as once you get it right with those stats you will be flying!
      Mac.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i would never hang up on a customer,
      That's good to hear, but another user who said they were using a non-Sky router was told 'We only support the Sky router....click...' Which they were well within their rights to do, however in this case, unless the OP gets through to T3, he will get no further forward, that is why I advise not mentioning this to T1. He will be using the Sky router when he phones so there should be no problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

danhackley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Okay - thanks Isitme (and everyone else) for your help. I will take your advice and phone Sky tomorrow evening (I'm on a week of nightshifts at the moment). I'll post how I get on.

Cheers

madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's good to hear, but another user who said they were using a non-Sky router was told 'We only support the Sky router....click...' Which they were well within their rights to do, however in this case, unless the OP gets through to T3, he will get no further forward, that is why I advise not mentioning this to T1. He will be using the Sky router when he phones so there should be no problem.
      absoloutely understand where your coming from unfortunately we have to deal with bad agents just as much as you do, agents who dont leave any notes make your call harder for us both, just to add again i would advise the OP to phone after 9pm, make sure you ask the tier 1 agent for your ticket number that way you have something to chase up and you can make sure they have put the notes on (should be done before transfer to tier 2/3 as they need this).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Last night a guy from Sky actually called me back (following my conversation with Sky a week ago). He sounded suitably nerdy to be a "tier 3" - what is that anyway. Looking a bit more promising. He's going to phone back tonight.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Had a kind of a breakthrough.

Got through to tier 3 support (who did seem quite pleasant and helpful), though all they could say was that the line looked fine from their end, good connection, no lost packets, etc etc, and double checked that there wasnt anything obvious wrong at my end. So that ended with no changes to my speed.

HOWEVER, using Grabit (my newsgroup prog), I increased the max. number of server connections from 6 to 12, and my download speed from newsgroups went from around 150-200kB/sec max to around a consistent 815kB/sec !! Excellent.

SO how come the online speed testers show rates of around 200-300 kb/sec (kilo bits not bytes), and that when I download a file from a website it downloads at around 40Kb/sec (kilobytes per sec) ? Only my newsgroup prog when connections to server increased utilises the proper speed.

Any further thoughts on the diagnosis folks ?

Thanks

Go here and check you speed.- SkyUser - Broadband Speed Tester

Using Vista, you should not need to do it, but try running TCPOptimiser If T3 found nothing wrong it could be that some setting in the OS is corrupted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

machasm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danhackley View Post
      Had a kind of a breakthrough.

Got through to tier 3 support (who did seem quite pleasant and helpful), though all they could say was that the line looked fine from their end, good connection, no lost packets, etc etc, and double checked that there wasnt anything obvious wrong at my end. So that ended with no changes to my speed.

HOWEVER, using Grabit (my newsgroup prog), I increased the max. number of server connections from 6 to 12, and my download speed from newsgroups went from around 150-200kB/sec max to around a consistent 815kB/sec !! Excellent.

SO how come the online speed testers show rates of around 200-300 kb/sec (kilo bits not bytes), and that when I download a file from a website it downloads at around 40Kb/sec (kilobytes per sec) ? Only my newsgroup prog when connections to server increased utilises the proper speed.

Any further thoughts on the diagnosis folks ?
      Hi Dan,
      Why don't you do a test with a file uploaded to your sky web space?
      You should find that you get max speeds when downloading that same file again.
      The speed checkers have been known to be innacurate at times due to loading as well as many other factors.
      Mac.

Thanks

Why don't you do a test with a file uploaded to your sky web space?
      What web space is that?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast