Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Slow Connection Speed

This is a discussion on Slow Connection Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Another thought - could it be anything to do with the drivers for my router or network card ? It ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slow Connection Speed

Another thought - could it be anything to do with the drivers for my router or network card ?
      It will not be router drivers as it does not use them and in any case it appears to be performing perfectly. Your NIC is a different matter. Try uninstalling it in the Device Manager and reboot your PC to allow them to be reinstalled. Their was an issue which effected Realtek drivers in particular in XP, but I thought that updates had resolved it. The problem did not occur in Vista to my knowledge.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      danhackley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update !

Just tried it out with a friends laptop. No difference !! Still very slow speeds. The Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed gave a download speed of 587 kbps.

So I guess it's clear that it's not the PC that's at fault (as I have now tried my desktop and 2 laptops).

What could the problem be ? My router stats are fine according to sky and to you guys. I doubt it's my connection to the router, as I've tried it connected via ethernet cable and wireless, and both are slow.

My knowledge is limited here ! Any further ideas on what the problem might be ?

Cheers

Thanks

All that is left to try is another router. If you have a friend who is on Sky BB that would be best, but if not, get your Username and Password, from your router and put them into another one. Almost anything would do, even an old ST330. If the speed rose, then it would definitely be the router and you could ask Sky for a replacement.

I am just wondering if it is possible that the ADSL Modem part which connects to the net is fine, but the router side which connects to your PC is having problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme,

Definitely something worth trying. I managed to get the hidden username & password from the Sky router. I'll see if I can get hold of another router & connect with it. I'll keep you updated.

Or of there are any other ideas, I'd like to hear them !

Update: trying with a Belkin Wireless G Modem Router now. When in setup it's asking for my multiplexing method or encapsulation; LLC or VC MUX - anyone know which to go for ?
      Last edited by danhackley; 28-10-07 at 07:46 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK managed to figure out the settings to put into the Belkin router, including my sky login/pass. Once it's all done, it says "ADSL connected" but "internet status not connected". Can't seem to connect to the internet at all with it!

Any ideas ?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

must have some settings wrong as its prob not authenticating on the Sky servers...

should be PPPoA, VC 0/38, password is (mac address)@skydsl/password is whatever it is

think thats all you need
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, got the new (Belkin) router working - I had to put in primary and secondary DNS numbers.

And the result ? - similarly low speeds ! Speedtest.net rates download speed at 416 kb/sec, and the Namesco Broadband Bandwidth Speedtest rates it at 702 kbps - both under 1 meg, and this is an 8 meg connection only 300m from the exchange !

Does this further info help anyone with a diagnosis, or any further suggestions ?

Cheers

madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

have you contact sky at any stage what did they say, they should have swish tested the line to see what speed your synced at, also tier 3 should be able to cap the line which may help and would be my next step.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Contact Sky ? I have my doubts that the call centre staff will be anywhere near as helpful as the people on here.

I did actually phone Sky initially, and at this point (after the usual checks) the man said he would contact the team to alter the signal/noise ratio on my line or something. That was a number of days ago, and I have noted no changes in speed.

Thanks

I think you are now at the stage where phoning Sky is the only way to go. Capping your line is not going to help in the least, your stats show that your line is near perfect. I am not sure but I think you may have something like a stuck profile. That may not be the term but it means that your download speed is stuck at a low level and the only way to fix it is for the technicians to stop and restart your line. You should phone Sky, preferably late at night and get put through to Tier 3, explain that your stats show you should have a very good download speed, buts it is actually rubbish. It will do no harm to tell them, T3 that is, that you have tried another router with the same result. Don't mention this to T1 or they will probably hang up on you.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast