Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transfer to new system, Vista problems

This is a discussion on Transfer to new system, Vista problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My mum's Sky broadband has just been moved to the new system, and I went to help her change the ...

Ellis_SJ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01772
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Transfer to new system, Vista problems

My mum's Sky broadband has just been moved to the new system, and I went to help her change the settings so she could still use her Windows Email on Vista (latest version of Outlook Express). I followed the instructions I changed the POP server address from pop.sky.com to pop.tools.sky.com. I changed the port for incoming mail to 995, and selected the 'Use SSL' security option. I changed the account name to the full sky.com email address. For the SMTP server, I changed the address to include the word 'tools' as before, I changed the port to 465, and I selected SSL and 'Use authentication'.
      It worked for outgoing mail, but not for incoming mail. All her messages are still going to the Sky account. That's not too bad, but she wants to use Windows Email, and I don't blame her. It's much more user-friendly for old ladies. I suspect the problem is because she's using Vista. When I phoned Sky's helpline, they said they didn't support Vista, and I should phone MS. MS said it wasn't their problem, and I should speak to the computer manufacturer. At this point, I turn to the kind experts online, and say, Can anyone help me?

The error message read as follows:
      Account pop.sky.com, Server 'pop.tools.sky.com' Protocol POP3 Server response ERR not supported120pf1348859uga Port 995 Secure SSL Yes Server Error Ox800CCC90 Error number Ox800CCC18.

Thank you.
      Susan

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Transfer to new system, Vista problems

In Windows Mail, go to Tools->Accounts, highlight the Sky email account and click on Properties. Select the Server tab, and then untick the "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" tickbox. But make sure you keep the "My server requires authentication" tickbox ticked.

This "Secure Password Authentication" option makes Windows Mail use a non-standard way of identifying you to the mail server. Damned Microsoft!

Don't be concerned about this security implications of this - the SSL connection means that no-one will be able to evesdrop on the connection anyway, so scrambling a password sent on an already scrambled connection is pointless, and (as you've discovered) doesn't work anyway.

Forthpalm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wisbech
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Don't want to sound silly but have you made sure that you have gone online to the new google sky mail first and changed the settings to allow POP forwarding?

This is required before your outlook or outlook express will work with the new system.

All the emails will be available online but until the pop forwarding is turned on then no mails will be forwarded to and from your offline email reader.

Andy

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      In Windows Mail, go to Tools->Accounts, highlight the Sky email account and click on Properties. Select the Server tab, and then untick the "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" tickbox. But make sure you keep the "My server requires authentication" tickbox ticked.
      Oh, I see - right, I'll try that. Thank you very much for your help - much appreciated!
      Susan

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forthpalm View Post
      Don't want to sound silly but have you made sure that you have gone online to the new google sky mail first and changed the settings to allow POP forwarding?

This is required before your outlook or outlook express will work with the new system.

All the emails will be available online but until the pop forwarding is turned on then no mails will be forwarded to and from your offline email reader.

Andy
      I think I did, but I'll check. Not silly at all, just the sort of thing I might have missed. Thanks very much for your help!
      Susan

debra999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01270
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have the same problem with outlook 2007 on windows xp. Make sure you go on to sky web page into sky email, and check email settings. I hadnt got email forwarding turned on as the previous threads mention. Coz i didnt know about it, and when i rang sky they didnt tell me either! Try that and see how you go. Its only simple if you know how aint it! Dont know about you, but i got no instructions or anything off sky. I got the same "we dont support 3rd party software" response you did from sky when i rang about this problem.

do the following, its the advice i got off this site and it was useful

1. Log in to your Sky Email account.
      2. Click Settings at the top of any Sky Email page.
      3. Click Forwarding and POP in the orange Mail Settings box.
      4. Select Enable POP For All Mail or Enable POP For Mail That Arrives From Now On.
      5. Choose the action you'd like your Sky Email messages to take after they are accessed with POP.
      6. Configure your POP client* and click Save Changes.

To configure Outlook, do the following...

1. Enable POP in your Sky Email account (see above).
      2. Open Outlook 2003 (in your case, 2007).
      3. Click the Tools menu, and select E-mail Accounts...
      4. Select Add A New E-mail Account, and click Next.
      5. Choose POP3 as your server type by clicking the radio button, and click Next.
      6. Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:
      User Information:
      - Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.
      - Email Address: Enter your full Sky Email address (username@sky.com)
      Server Information:
      - Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.tools.sky.com
      - Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.tools.sky.com
      Login Information:
      - User Name: Enter your Sky Email username (including @sky.com)
      - Password: Enter your Sky Email password
      7. Click More Settings... and then click the Outgoing Server tab.
      8. Check the box next to My Outgoing Server (SMTP) Requires Authentication and select Use Same Settings As My Incoming Mail Server.
      9. Click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to This Server Requires An Encrypted Connection (SSL) under Incoming Server (POP3).
      10. Check the box next to This Server Requires An Encrypted Connection (SSL) under Outgoing Server (SMTP), and enter 465 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) box.
      11. Click OK.
      12. Click Test Account Settings... After receiving 'Congratulations! All tests completed successfully', and click Close.
      13. Click Next, and then click Finish.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This worked, thanks so much for the help!
      Susan

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post

This "Secure Password Authentication" option makes Windows Mail use a non-standard way of identifying you to the mail server. Damned Microsoft!

Don't be concerned about this security implications of this - the SSL connection means that no-one will be able to evesdrop on the connection anyway, so scrambling a password sent on an already scrambled connection is pointless, and (as you've discovered) doesn't work anyway.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for this, too - yes, they just don't give you all the instructions that you need, do they? Thanks for this list, I'll keep a copy of it in case we need it again - it's very kind of you to type it all out - much appreciated.
      Susan

Quote Originally Posted by debra999 View Post
      I have the same problem with outlook 2007 on windows xp. Make sure you go on to sky web page into sky email, and check email settings. I hadnt got email forwarding turned on as the previous threads mention. Coz i didnt know about it, and when i rang sky they didnt tell me either! Try that and see how you go. Its only simple if you know how aint it! Dont know about you, but i got no instructions or anything off sky. I got the same "we dont support 3rd party software" response you did from sky when i rang about this problem.

do the following, its the advice i got off this site and it was useful

1. Log in to your Sky Email account.
      2. Click Settings at the top of any Sky Email page.
      3. Click Forwarding and POP in the orange Mail Settings box.
      4. Select Enable POP For All Mail or Enable POP For Mail That Arrives From Now On.
      5. Choose the action you'd like your Sky Email messages to take after they are accessed with POP.
      6. Configure your POP client* and click Save Changes.

To configure Outlook, do the following...

1. Enable POP in your Sky Email account (see above).
      2. Open Outlook 2003 (in your case, 2007).
      3. Click the Tools menu, and select E-mail Accounts...
      4. Select Add A New E-mail Account, and click Next.
      5. Choose POP3 as your server type by clicking the radio button, and click Next.
      6. Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:
      User Information:
      - Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.
      - Email Address: Enter your full Sky Email address (username@sky.com)
      Server Information:
      - Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.tools.sky.com
      - Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.tools.sky.com
      Login Information:
      - User Name: Enter your Sky Email username (including @sky.com)
      - Password: Enter your Sky Email password
      7. Click More Settings... and then click the Outgoing Server tab.
      8. Check the box next to My Outgoing Server (SMTP) Requires Authentication and select Use Same Settings As My Incoming Mail Server.
      9. Click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to This Server Requires An Encrypted Connection (SSL) under Incoming Server (POP3).
      10. Check the box next to This Server Requires An Encrypted Connection (SSL) under Outgoing Server (SMTP), and enter 465 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) box.
      11. Click OK.
      12. Click Test Account Settings... After receiving 'Congratulations! All tests completed successfully', and click Close.
      13. Click Next, and then click Finish.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ all you just quoted is from Sky.com!!!

and tier 1 have it in mojo (the troubleshooting system) - just depends if they want to be helpful or not!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Also depends if they have been told to Troubleshoot the issue or not, while the migration issue was ongoing we were not supposed to troubleshoot settings as the customer still wouldn't be able to access emails afterwards. I gave out the information of where to find all the instructions on sky.com as well as helping some that were having obvious issues with where/ how they had to adjust settings.
      Not everything is down to lazy T1 staff, sometimes we are not allowed to be as useful as we would like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast