Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ethernet cable query

This is a discussion on Ethernet cable query within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, finally up and running with me BB , yay! But, Ive got a couple of questions regarding wireless/cabling, ...

Chaddiek is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Ethernet cable query

Hi all, finally up and running with me BB, yay!

But, Ive got a couple of questions regarding wireless/cabling, I mainly use the internet for online gaming (WoW and the odd FPS blast etc)

My router stats are (cant actually post the seriously detailed ones as im at work:

Downstream
      Speed - 13496 kbps
      Attenuation - 25db
      Noise - 6.3db

Upstream
      Speed 764 kpbs
      Attenuation - 13.9db
      Noise - 12.5db
      im around 750meters from the exchange as the crow flies.

I bought some 10m Ethernet cable yesterday and hooked up the router to my pc but I then had some really poor speeds(compared to what it should be) & page loading (DL of 5150 + UL of 250, roughly with page loading running into 50+ seconds ), I expected some degradation due to having to run the cable from the router to the pc, but not that much! My laptop thats able to connect to the router via the Ethernet cable provided is perfect by the way

So can i salvage the speeds or should i just get a wireless adapter? If im getting an adaptor I would assume if would have to be in sync with the router, i.e. 108mbps or could i get the higher specced one that goes upto 300?

Sorry for the basic questions

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Ethernet cable query

is your laptop conected the same way as your PC ? if you had Cat 5 cable then the distance woud not be the problem.

is your PC running XP ? if so do a quick search on here for PC Optimizer (i think thats what it is called) as your internet settings may need tweaking

not sure if above helps (or makes sense), let me know how you get on

Chaddiek is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for that, i'll run the optomiser when i get home this evening.

The cable is cat 6 iirc and the pc is indeed xp, the laptop is vista. I thought it might be a xp issue that would be 'messing' with the speeds but it cant hurt to check

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^^ That's most likely the solution to the problem

Windows XP's network settings seem to be better suited to a dial-up network connection rather than broadband, and can often benefit substantially from being optimised. Windows Vista doesn't suffer from that problem.

Incidentally, Ethernet works at the same speed regardless of cable length (provided it's less than the maximum length of 100m). This is because it's a digital signal, as opposed to the ADSL signal which is analogue.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just an aside in case you decide to go wireless. It is not generally realized the 108mbps does not have a universal standard. Each manufacturer uses different methods to achieve the same goal. This means that an adapter from one manufacturer will not operate at 108 mbps with another manufacturers router. To get this speed with the Netgear router you must use a compatible Netgear adapter. A visit to the Netgear website is probably advisable if you intend buying an adapter.

I think it is worth pointing out that this high speed is only available between the PC and router (and any compatible PC connected to it) It will make no difference to your Internet speed until such times as you can get a download speed of over 54mbps. Which, methinks, will be a long time coming.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.