Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Big Problems! =[

This is a discussion on Big Problems! =[ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Sky Broadband has been working fine for me for atleast a good month untill last night, we had ...

simps100 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Big Problems! =[

Hi all,

Sky Broadband has been working fine for me for atleast a good month untill last night, we had a few problems with wireless, after abit of research i thought i would use my own router, i got my password using Asinine Monkey - NETGEAR DG834GT Hacking stuck it in my old router, but this didnt work so i thought i would just plug my sky one back in which now also dont work, all 4 lights come on but its almost like there is no connection atall, the router settings page also don't pick up an IP address, ive called sky who gave me a ticket number but would rather sort it my self in a quicker time if atall possible, ive attached some screen shots of which i thought may be some use, i am at work so unable to access it untill atleast 6:00 which is abit of a pain as i wont be able to check here for any more help after that.

Router Status Page

Connection Status page (have tried clicking connect)

Router Stats Page

Connection Test

Ive tried all the usual, reseting the router, pc, none of which have made a difference atall. Any help would very very much be appreciated, must admit quite desperate to get the net back!

Thank You

Marc

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Big Problems! =[

Search the forum for Error 300 for details on what's going wrong here, but I understand that leaving the router switched off for an hour often resolves this problem. It's something to do with the mechanism which assigns a public IP address to your router's external interface (as opposed to its internal interface which has the address 192.168.0.1).

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks, i will do a search. The router was left off over night last night, tried it this morning but was still having same problems =[

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^
      For some strange reason, it does not seem to matter if it is switched off overnight, mine was when I had a problem. Resetting the router, then switching off for about 45mins, then switching on cured the problem. This was some months ago, and touch wood, it has not returned.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I will give that a go, if not any one got any idea of the number to get through to teir 3 support or atleast the scottish call center please?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

have to go through tier 1 - the direct lines to tier 3 get cut off once known to be leaked and AFAIK there are none any more

what exchange you on out of interest?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slough Main AFAIK

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

it may be a stuck port or a stale session which may need tier 3 removing before IP is restored....possibly an exchange issue but i doubt it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Called sky again friday night, was put straght through to teir 3, he made my internet light go out but still wasnt working, then he asked me to read out my mac address and told me that i had been taken off the "alloud database" and i needed to be readded, he said it could be a number of reasons, such as the router didnt call home?! (could it be me trying my belkin router?) he said give it till saturday and it should be back.. which it wasnt so sunday morning gave them a call again, was put through to teir 3 agian and he told me they did a test and it came back all ok, he again took out my internet light and when he put it back it was back and working, he mentioned the speed could be to high for my line and did a few tests and said it was ok for now but if any other problems arrise may have to be slowed down a little.

My main intrest was the sky router calling home? Anyone else know of this?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well, the router does periodically try to connect to a software update server, to see if an updated version of the router software is available. But at the moment, the update server isn't set up. Theoretically, Sky could be checking to make sure that router periodically looks up the name of the update server (dg834gt.skyfirmware.com), but I doubt if Sky would do something like that.

More likely, there was something about the Belkin router configuration that caused a sufficiently serious error for the account to be disabled. Did you cut-and-paste the password, or did you copy it by hand? If there was a mistake in the password and the Belkin tried to log you in unsuccessfully several times, that could well trigger the account being disabled.

Or it could be that Sky have started clamping down on people not using the Sky router, but I suspect there would have been a flood of messages about that, if that were the case.