Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

connection / speed problem

This is a discussion on connection / speed problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi to you all. My first post on any forum, let alone just this one, so apologies if my query ...

alwaysager is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cumbernauld
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

connection / speed problem

Hi to you all.

My first post on any forum, let alone just this one, so apologies if my query repeats others and sounds a bit vague.

just bought new laptop which came with Vista and signed up to Sky BB mid, using wireless router.

During the day internet connection works fine but in the evening totally different story. When actually able to connect, the speed at which pages load is terrible.

Have spoken to technical and they tell me that i'm downloading at the max speed available from the exchange (4.3km from exchange) but if problem continues to contact them again and they'll transfer me to level 3 (?)

have looked at other posts but unsure what to do first, either go back to technical or start running speed tests, etc. (where do i start ?)

any help greatly appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: connection / speed problem

You shouldn't see a dramatically different speed during the evening than you see during the day. If you are then my first guess would be that you either have a line issue causing your noise margin to drop too low in the evenings or more likely, you're experiencing more wireless interference in the evenings.

Wireless isn't a very satisfactory method of connection - wired will always be best. However, you may find that you get better results wireless with small changes to the router/aerial position and by trying different wireless channels (maybe a near neighbour is also using wireless?). Wireless is also impacted by electrical devices and things like dect phones, baby monitors, video senders etc. You'll find info in the wireless forum.

Also, have a look at the first sticky in my signature to see how to get your router stats and check the noise margin.

Lastly, post your router connection stats (sync and attenuation) together with a speedtest result from here. One wired would also be helpful.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for info

had to reboot router prior to taking these stats just to get it to connect (also contacted technical who'll have tier 3 call me within the next 5 days to try and resolve !!!!)

here are the wireless stats;

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 8805 15031 0 892 8232 00:40:34
      LAN 10M/100M 9555 3618 0 948 163 01:47:15
      WLAN 11M/54M 26402 20056 0 3322 397 01:47:05

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1792 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 13.0 db

Download Speed: 618 kbps (77.3 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 346 kbps (43.3 KB/sec )

and here are wired stats;

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 17802 30782 0 1345 13123 00:53:29
      LAN 10M/100M 16248 7308 0 2049 236 02:00:10
      WLAN 11M/54M 37396 26757 0 4897 595 02:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1792 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.4 db 13.0 db

Download Speed: 2004 kbps (250.5 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 346 kbps (43.3 KB/sec )

hope this is what you're looking for

thanks again

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysager View Post
      hope this is what you're looking for
      Yes, that's it.

Looking at your connection stats, your attenuation (line length) at 62db is pretty much at the limit for a stable ADSL connection. Your router is managing to sync at 1792kbps which is quite good for such a long line.

At the time you took your stats your noise margin was fine but then it should be as you had recently rebooted. Your earlier connection problems could be down to a falling noise margin (see the first sticky in my signature).

As expected, your slow download speed was down to your wireless connection: wireless you were getting 618kbps (which is poor for your sync) and wired you were getting 2004kbps (which is pretty remarkable seeing as this is higher than your sync!). Even allowing for a slightly suspect reading, wired was giving you 3x the download speed of wireless.

With such a long line you need to do what you can to ensure your line quality is as good as it can be. It may be that your router is able to sync a little higher than 1794kbps. See the cabling and faceplate help forum for info and advice. Even if you can't squeeze a little more speed out of your connection, you may be able to improve its stability.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks, will look at that forum and see what can be done