Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hi Guys New User Here This is my story !

This is a discussion on Hi Guys New User Here This is my story ! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK lets get started my previous isp was pipex and they have so far been the best isp iv ever ...

niceboyandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi Guys New User Here This is my story !

OK lets get started my previous isp was pipex and they have so far been the best isp iv ever had , But a few weeks ago I decided to move to sky broadband , the single worst decision I have ever made. firstly I phoned up to order it and they seemed to have a problem halfway through the booking so they said they would ring me back sometime through the week , I looked at my partner and said they wont ring & that's wright they didn't , so I rang again & got it ordered this time it did actually get activated on right date but most of the time I couldn't get connected as they where trying to send a 16mb connection down a 8mb line I did tell them this but they said there computer said my line was a 16mb so there computers must be wright ! anyway this problem persisted for a few days until my speed went right down to 0.1 mbps yeah 200 kbps and there it stayed for 5 days until today I got it sorted for how long , who knows !. Im also in the same boat as everyone else on the email thing too mine has never worked so I'm having to use hot mail for now. Great forum peeps.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Hi Guys New User Here This is my story !

You won't feel so good about Pipex if they continue billing you! Don't laugh - it does happen, and quite often by all accounts. Make sure you've cancelled your Direct Debit, just to be sure.

I'm not sure why you think your line is an "8Mbit line", but the way ADSL works is that it analyses the physical characteristics of the phone line before deciding what speed to operate at. Now there are some technical issues with the current version of the Sky router which can make some connections unreliable at speeds which should be OK, but Sky have just started shipping a new router which is reputed to be much more reliable, and they're going to be releasing a software upgrade "real soon now" for the old white routers which will mae those more reliable too. In the mean time, however, Sky have sometimes placed an artificial cap on people's line speeds to make them work slower, but more reliably, but this is only a workaround. Generally speaking, there simply is no way to force more data down the line than the hardware says its capable of supporting, so your perception of them trying to force 16Mbit/sec down an 8 Mbit/sec phone line just isn't right.

And Sky's email is working just fine for me and many other people, both through the POP/SMTP interface (i.e., using a mail program like Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or Thunderbird) and through the web interface at Sky.com - Email & Tools>Tools Page (although only with Internet Explorer and not with Firefox since Sky broke it a few days ago).

Have a look around the forum for tips and advice on how to improve such things as home telephone wiring, and getting detailed statistics from your Sky router. Also try explaining what kind of problems you've been having with email and maybe we'll be able to help.

Thinks may not end up being as bad as they seem.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice on the pipex DD I,ll make sure I cancel that. What I meen about the line speed is my exchange can only handle speeds of upto 8mbps , my exchange isn't due for an upgrade untill 2009. I reset the router and that sorted out the speed problems. The email issue is yet to be fixed but alot of other people are having the same problem with that , hopefully it wont take to long to sort !

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you're on Sky Broadband Max, then the line is split at the exchange end, with the voice service being provided by BT and the broadband service provided by Sky, using Sky's own equipment. This is called local-loop unbundling (LLU). Most other ISP's effectively sell a rebranded version of BT's IPStream service.

At the moment, BT's IPStream service has a maximum speed of 8 Mbit/sec, but companies offering an LLU service are free to provide a faster service, up to 24 Mbit/sec. In Sky's case, they've decided to offer a service up to 16 Mbit/sec.

BT are planning to upgrade their IPStream services over the next few years so that they and other companies that currently sell the rebranded IPStream service can offer speeds above 8 Mbit/sec. That's the exchange upgrade that you're talking about. But that won't affect you, because you're on an LLU connection.

Thanks

Ah thanks for that mate I didnt know that. I tested my connection lastnight and it is running at about 9 mbps and thats great as im used to about 4 mbps. so if I have the same prob again ill just reset the router again
      Last edited by niceboyandy; 25-10-07 at 12:22 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If they say your line is capable of 16mb, then it probably is. A little work on your internal wiring may see you syncing and downloading at the maximum speed. If you look around the forum you will find plenty of advice on how to improve your connection. It is also worth running TCPOptimiser (unless you have Vista), to make sure your PC is giving the best it can.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

debra999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01270
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im having probs with email also m8. Took me weeks to get sky up and running due to various problems at their end. Only thing that went to plan was my sky+ installation. Broadband and speak were weeks later. Your not on your own with probs with sky email. have a look at some threads in broadband help. I got alot of top advice here and mine seems to be working now. What is prob with your email account? i set up yahoo mail account as i couldnt get it workingon sky, but seems ok now

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

check out this thread it may help with email issues

Sky Broadband help and support > Sky Broadband help
      cant collect email in outlook 2007

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ did you get it all working in the end then i take it?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes its now working no thanks to pony sky's useless tech support. Thanks for your info on the settings in sky email tools. I didnt get that info from sky. And yes, i already had the info on configuring outlook off the sky website pop.tools etc that you copied and pasted in for me, but they aint going to work (as they didnt) without configuring tools to receive email to pop account. thnanks for the help