Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How long does IT typically take?

This is a discussion on How long does IT typically take? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Basically Sky have an order processing system which communicates with BT . In a base/mid/max order the flow might be: ...

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: How long does IT typically take?

Basically Sky have an order processing system which communicates with BT.

In a base/mid/max order the flow might be:

24th October: Order Placed
      25th October: Date Confirmed: 5th November
      5th November: Order Complete

its a little bit more complicated but thats the basics of it. The router is dispatched when the 'Date Confirmed' line is recieved.

A typical connect order is

24th October: Order Placed
      5th November: Date Confirmed: 5th November 2007
      5th November: Order Complete

So the router gets dispatched within 5 working days of the actual activation date. I'm fairly confident its down to BT not communicating the information properly, but I'm sure they could just send one out to customers anyway...
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

2. Advertisement
      Chaddiek is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Kinda in the same boat at the moment, ordered the see/talk/surf package online on the 11th and received a confirmation letter sent on the 12th that my BB would be active on the 23rd, then another letter dated the 17th stating the activation date was now the 25th but no router yet Its the max bb order, is it worth giving a ring to find out if its been dispatched?

Im a bit hesitent to call any more call centre thanks to a wonderful experiance with BT getting them to actually activate my phone line (moved into my flat just over 2 months now and it took BT 7 and a half weeks to get an enginner out to flick a swtch to turn the line on ) Sky so far have been fantastic, 4 days to get my sky box installed and working..A+ so far

TSx
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddiek View Post
      Kinda in the same boat at the moment, ordered the see/talk/surf package online on the 11th and received a confirmation letter sent on the 12th that my BB would be active on the 23rd, then another letter dated the 17th stating the activation date was now the 25th but no router yet Its the max bb order, is it worth giving a ring to find out if its been dispatched?

Im a bit hesitent to call any more call centre thanks to a wonderful experiance with BT getting them to actually activate my phone line (moved into my flat just over 2 months now and it took BT 7 and a half weeks to get an enginner out to flick a swtch to turn the line on ) Sky so far have been fantastic, 4 days to get my sky box installed and working..A+ so far
      Definitely worth a try - give the above number a ring, theres not usually a queue in provisioning at this time of the day, they should be able to find out whats going on
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I only lost two days internet access because of the router not turning up when I first joined Sky on the Connect product. My brother was offline for a few months because of Sky's failure to send him his router. I don't care what the reason is this is an area that Sky need to look at and sort out because it is not a good whay to start a relationship with new customers.

TSx
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Its been raised numerous times, for whatever reason, Sky won't change it at the moment. I'd just be happy if sales told them there would be a gap of more than a few hours!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I can imagine the BT might be using a "just-in-time" engineering appointment system. They're probably required to give an appointment time for LLU changovers, but not for changeovers on their own IPStream services, so they make use of that to ensure that they have engineers available for more urgent (and potentially costly) cases such as where people have suffered a loss of voice service, and fit in IPStream changeovers whenever an engineer happens to be at or near the exchange in question on that day.

And for most ISPs (by which I mean all except Sky) this isn't normally a problem.

TSx
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      I can imagine the BT might be using a "just-in-time" engineering appointment system. They're probably required to give an appointment time for LLU changovers, but not for changeovers on their own IPStream services, so they make use of that to ensure that they have engineers available for more urgent (and potentially costly) cases such as where people have suffered a loss of voice service, and fit in IPStream changeovers whenever an engineer happens to be at or near the exchange in question on that day.

And for most ISPs (by which I mean all except Sky) this isn't normally a problem.
      I'm not too sure that I understand completely - as soon as we place an order on connect/base/mid/max (all packages) we have a CRD - customer required date. This is the date we request BT to connect you on and is almost always around 6-8 working days. BT connect the customer in 98% (random statistic, but its the vast majority) of cases on that date.

Its why when you call up before going live provisioning can tell you the switchover date even on connect. In addition, with connect, if you're using a mac code from a non llu provider, there is no engineer visit required.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12