Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Mac Code Problem

This is a discussion on Mac Code Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just got off the phone with Pipex, as they just billed me another 25 pounds. According to them, Sky haven't ...

iKettles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mac Code Problem

Just got off the phone with Pipex, as they just billed me another 25 pounds. According to them, Sky haven't used our mac code (yet we're getting internet) so Pipex weren't aware we'd changed, so they kept on billing us. Apparently we have to give 30 days notice to cancel, which means we're going to have to pay another 25 pound. Who's to blame? Will sky refund me the money?

2. Advertisement
      the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Mac Code Problem

I am unaware of any ISP being able to migrate your account without a Migration Authorisation Code.

I think it is a bit rich of Pipex to say that they didn't know that you had migrated, but the sad fact is that it is your responsibility to tell your ISP that you wish to cancel. Requesting a mac is often not sufficient.

You won't get anything out of Sky, as it is not their fault, but you could try Pipex.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

when u get ur mac from pipex u inform ur new isp u. also let pipex know ur offski and u cancel the direct debit and email them telling them u have done this [pu cant blame sky for something u aint done ]

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yeah, it's Pipex who's been naughty here, firstly by not telling you that you'll need to cancel the account with them once your Sky connection is up and running, and secondly by telling you a load of nonsense about Sky not using the MAC code.

Actually, it's pretty poor them not taking your request for a MAC code as notice to cancel your account. This practice isn't unlawful or against Ofcom rules, but it is a pretty customer-unfriendly policy.

iKettles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Pipex did tell me once Sky had used the mac code my contract would be automatically canceled. We were told that there was nothing else left to do. After another argument with someone from Pipex I've finally managed to get us reimbursed the 50 pound.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well, it's good that you got your money back, but what they're saying about the MAC code is wrong.

When you move to Sky, a BT engineer has to change some of the wiring at the exchange. Sky have to ask BT to do this work, and BT will not do it if they're not given a MAC code.

If they've given you your money back, then what possible advantage is there in continuing to claim (even though the claim is just absolute nonsense) that it's Sky's fault really? Are they just trying to save face?

Pipex's billing department is notoriously lousy anyway. Congratulations on being liberated from them.

Oh and don't forget to cancel that direct debit - just to be on the safe side.