Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Exchange only 500m away yet...

This is a discussion on Exchange only 500m away yet... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; yet I'm only getting 9088kbps down and 611kbps upload. Is this normal? I have some idea what the stuff below ...

suhailp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goodmayes
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exchange only 500m away yet...

yet I'm only getting 9088kbps down and 611kbps upload. Is this normal? I have some idea what the stuff below means, but clearly I need help

EDIT: Second test

I've rang up sky where someone attempted to get me to tier 3, but they were busy. I checked my master socket, but it looked nothing like the one in the thread. I unscrewed it, but inside there was nothing but 2 wires connected to the socket. I thought it might not be the master socket, but I was assured it was.

So can anyone shed some light on the issue? (if there is one of course.)

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15323 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 13.9 13.5
      Attn(dB): 21.0 11.4
      Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 18768 864
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 24
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 59 68
      B: 238 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 2 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 0.4980 7.7037
      L: 4096 216
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 3829 3827
      SFErr: 0 1
      RS: 497778 32529
      RSCorr: 0 0
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 2239965 90112
      Data Cells: 350 185
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 0 1
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 47 16
      Total time = 12 min 3 sec
      SF = 40517
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 1 day time = 12 min 3 sec
      SF = 40517
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      Last edited by suhailp; 19-10-07 at 12:41 AM.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Exchange only 500m away yet...

Well there's only 12 minutes of statistics there, so it's difficult to say for sure if there is a problem or not. Ideally, you need to keep the router switched on for 24 hours and then get the detailed stats. Mind you, from the limited information there, it doesn't look likely that there is a problem.

A speed tester tests how fast it can transfer data between you and the server, and there's many things that can slow that data down, not just your broadband connection. In particular, the speedtest.net site seems to be very popular and that means that it can get overloaded, trying to send data out at the maximum possible speed it can to all the different people who are trying to use the site.

Try this speedtest site instead. It seems to be less heavily loaded and might give you a more meaningful result.

Remember network overheads eat into your speed. If you get a result over 13000 kbit/sec, then it's safe to say that your line's pretty much working at the maximum speed it can.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You dont mention if you are using wireless or not, if so that can slow things down, also worth running TCP optimizer on your PC that may improve the through put. Your router has negociated a decent speed with the exchange so there cant be alot wrong.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Your router has negociated a decent speed with the exchange
      . . . . . and noise margin. Doubt it's a line issue causing the low throughput.

As already advised, if not wireless then look to an overloaded speedtest server followed by sub-optimal TCP/IP settings. If none of those then something is using the bandwidth e.g. Sky Anytime/BBC iPlayer, another LAN user or malware.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      You dont mention if you are using wireless or not, if so that can slow things down, also worth running TCP optimizer on your PC that may improve the through put. Your router has negociated a decent speed with the exchange so there cant be alot wrong.
      I had infact ran the optimiser when I took the test, also I'm wired aswell. My master socket is really old, and doesn't have 2 differrent sockets. I'm pretty sure it's because of this I'm getting a reduced speed. Is there a way of confirming this? Since there isnt a test socket when I opened up the master socket.

And if this is the case, is there a way of fixing it? I managed to get a ticket with tier 3, so hoepfully they should be able to help me out (and the lag issues when playing online games.)

It seems the noise it pretty high, I tried it yesterday morning (1am) but it didnt make a differrence.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.0 db 11.4 db
      Noise Margin 14.2 db 13.0 db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I checked my master socket, but it looked nothing like the one in the thread. I unscrewed it, but inside there was nothing but 2 wires connected to the socket. I thought it might not be the master socket, but I was assured it was.
      Just to go back a bit, are you sure you are in the Master socket. If you have hardwired extensions you should have more than 2 wires connected to it. Are there capacitors inside it, if not then you are at an extension.

This aside, it is hard to see what T3 can do except reduce your delay. You are syncing at almost maximum, so as already mentioned, that only leaves the connection between the PC and the router. Be very careful what you say to Sky as a misinterpretation could result in them capping you and you don't want that. It would be useful if you had a friend with a laptop they could plug in to see what the result would be.

It is possible, but not likely, that your NIC is not performing as it should. When you plug in to the LAN port of the router, it does light up green, not yellow. A yellow light would indicate that your NIC was only performing at 10mbps and not 100 as it should.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just to go back a bit, are you sure you are in the Master socket. If you have hardwired extensions you should have more than 2 wires connected to it. Are there capacitors inside it, if not then you are at an extension.

This aside, it is hard to see what T3 can do except reduce your delay. You are syncing at almost maximum, so as already mentioned, that only leaves the connection between the PC and the router. Be very careful what you say to Sky as a misinterpretation could result in them capping you and you don't want that. It would be useful if you had a friend with a laptop they could plug in to see what the result would be.

It is possible, but not likely, that your NIC is not performing as it should. When you plug in to the LAN port of the router, it does light up green, not yellow. A yellow light would indicate that your NIC was only performing at 10mbps and not 100 as it should.
      I am infact on a laptop which is wired to my router. I ran a speedtest on my PC, resulting is some relative success, as the speed has jumped to 11mbps.

I'm quite happy with that, but after I played a few games online It was apparently clear I was getting high latency frequently, with a relatively high ping compared to my prior ISP.

After a relatively quick look around it appears as if I need to get my max delay's sorted. How long does T3 generally take to respond to a ticket?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As far as I can gather, if you phone and get to T3, it is a 'right away thing'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.