Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Please, Please Help. Constant Disconnections

This is a discussion on Please, Please Help. Constant Disconnections within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When that is in will I be able to move my router back to the upstairs socket er, no, you ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Please, Please Help. Constant Disconnections

When that is in will I be able to move my router back to the upstairs socket
      er, no, you will be able to plug your router direct into the ADSL faceplate, using a long RJ11 modem cable, or you can leave the router by the socket and use a long ethernet cable, or you can use the internal connections on the faceplate to make a dedicated ADSL socket. If you fit an ADSL faceplate you cannot use any of you phone extensions to plug in the router. You will be on the wrong side of the filter, so it will not work.

You could use the existing orange wires in the cable to provide a dedicated ADSL socket. This would be the tidiest way if you must have your router 'upstairs'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      07sanchez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi all,

Just thought id give an update as im hoping this thread may help all the other people suffering from the same problems.

I disconnected the orange wire shown in my photograph, reconnected the faceplate and have not suffered a disconnection since (its only been 2 days but still no disconnections)

So it looks like the orange wire was causing the problems, so in the next day or so I will move the router back upstairs and see what difference that makes.

I just want to thank you all for the help given

Sanch

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you're using microfilters, the only function the orange wire has is to introduce interference in the system. It isn't even used for the ring signal because the microfilters generate their own ring signal. I'd recommend that anyone using microfilters whose phone extensions are wired into their master socket, should remove the orange wire (also known as the ring wire) at the master socket end.

If you're using a splitter faceplate on the master socket, then the advice is the opposite. The orange wire should be connected in such cases (although there's a good chance you'll get away without doing it). With a splitter faceplate, the orange wire doesn't seem to have an adverse effect on the broadband signal, and it may be needed for some telephones to ring when there's an incoming call.

07sanchez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi All,

Thought thought id let everyone know that I am working 100% now.

Moved back upstairs and no disconnections for 5 days

I am so happy and just wanted to thank everyone that helped me with the issue. Hopefully someone else can benefit from the advice as I see its a common issue.

Thanks agains

Sanch

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234