Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Going from NTL/Virgin to SKy - and ADSL2 help

This is a discussion on Going from NTL/Virgin to SKy - and ADSL2 help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Has anyone gone from NTL to SKy. Basically I am paying 37 a month with Virgin/NTl and with Sky ...

slewis1972 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Going from NTL/Virgin to SKy - and ADSL2 help

Hi

Has anyone gone from NTL to SKy. Basically I am paying 37 a month with Virgin/NTl and with Sky it will be alot less. Ok, currentl yon 20meg so was wondering on getting ADSL2 with the Chertsey exchange in Surrey.
      Ok - and yes, I know I have to go back to BT for phone but I will get Skytalk aswell, so there is a quite a financial saving.

Anyone done it and regretted it - any advice appreciated.

Scott

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Going from NTL/Virgin to SKy - and ADSL2 help

The main difference between cable and ADSL is that ADSL can be drastically effected by your distance from the exchange and quality of the line. Cable dosen't seem to suffer from this I assume because most of there network is fibre optic. You do get an 8 day cooling off period with Sky so if your not happy you can cancel. The ADSL line checkers seem to be a bit hit and miss as well because they are amed at ADSL but SKy use ADSL2+ so theres no real way of checking for sure b4 you get it.

matt07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: plympton sunny devon
      Broadband ISP: 6 mixes +sports
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I changed from telewest/Virgin a few months back and its been far better than virgin.

I was paying the same price as yourselve but now paying 10 a month.I"m only able to get up to 8mb but it sync around 7mb all the time even at peak time.On virgin I would be lucky to get 2-3 in the evenings.

I wasnt sure whether to switch as virgin was very stable and heard and read many horror storys with sky broadband but I have no problems at all and havent looked back.

Go for it!

And the tv is far better than virgin.
      Last edited by matt07; 15-10-07 at 08:49 PM.

djjerryatric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01375
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited - that's a laugh!
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matt07 View Post
      I changed from telewest/Virgin a few months back and its been far better than virgin.

I was paying the same price as yourselve but now paying 10 a month.I"m only able to get up to 8mb but it sync around 7mb all the time even at peak time.On virgin I would be lucky to get 2-3 in the evenings.

I wasnt sure whether to switch as virgin was very stable and heard and read many horror storys with sky broadband but I have no problems at all and havent looked back.

Go for it!

And the tv is far better than virgin.
      2-3 MB in the evenings? Luxury! I've not been getting anything like that on Sky. As for programmes, now we've signed up with Virgin, we're getting a package that's slightly cheaper than Sky - and that's with Setanta thrown in..
      Ok, if you're getting decent download figures, Sky's a great package. But a lot of us aren't even getting 2-3mb most times.

Sure there will be some problems with Virgin, Name one state of the art idea that hasn't got some. But I'm fed up with poor download speeds (tonight everything ground to a complete halt twice (and I live 2 kilometeres from the exchange!)
      So, we'll see what happens this next year. That's a long time in the digital world. You never know what could pop up next............