Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Faulty router or BT big lyers?...

This is a discussion on Faulty router or BT big lyers?... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Now this is gonna be a bit daft as I can't post any stats etc as i'm at work and ...

Ben Tiff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cleethorpes (01472)
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Faulty router or BT big lyers?...

Now this is gonna be a bit daft as I can't post any stats etc as i'm at work and because of the nature of my problem I can't post any at home either as I have no connection!

Had Sky broadband for two weeks now and everthings been fine (apart from the first few days i had problems with extension wiring, thats now sorted with an XTE-2005 faceplate and problems with Sky email, don't get me started)...
      So anyway apart from all that, I'm on Sky connect and I've been getting a nice stable connection at about 5.5 - 6mb on speedtest.net and been getting download speeds of 700 to 800 kbps so was pretty happy... Until yesterday... Woke up turned my laptop on - no broadband, PS3 no broadband, 360 - no broadban, Wii - no broadband... anyway you get the jist.

Reset the router 100 times, connected with ethernet, taken the faceplate off and used the test socket... no broadband!

There must be an actual connection there but i'm thinking its a stupidly minimal one as I always get the message in the bottom left corner "website found, waiting for reply" and then it times out and I get page cannot blah blah.

I can log into my router, so did this and checked the sync and noise etc. and they are exactly the same as they've been since I installed the XTE faceplate, I know this cos I noted them at the time.

Anyhoo, totally flumaxed, I rang sky, the Tier 1 guy went thru loads of tests on my Laptop (which I knew shouldn't make any difference because it wouldn't have affected my PSP, PS3, yadda yadda yadda...) and after exhausting everything said that it's probably a line fault or fault at the exchange or maintenence at the exhange blah bla blah and that I should ring BT.

Rang BT, told them I think my line is faulty my broadband didn't work and told them I could hear noise on the line (I couldn't I just wanted to make sure they did the tests) They did the tests and said that there's nowt wrong with it, there's no work going on at the exchange and that If I can make and recieve calls and my broadband doesn't work I should ring sky...

...Big bad circle

So I'm guessing either my routers faulty or BT are big lyers and I have got a line fault somewhere...

Gonna have to ring Sky again tonight but can't do it til I'm in front of my router etc...

oh ecky peck...
      Mmmm... free goo...

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Faulty router or BT big lyers?...

Sorry If I forgot to mention, I'm on the Sky 'Connect' package as LLU has unfortunately not been rolled out as yet here in sunny cleethorpes...

... Any Ideas anyone?
      Mmmm... free goo...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What does the router status page say? Are you getting an IP address? It doesn't look like it if none of your gizmos can connect. I think this probably confirms that it is not your PC settings that are faulty. Have you run the Sky Test, what error do you get? Are all the lights on the router as they should be?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Saturday,

Thanks for the reply, it seems mike has a similar problem to me, but not entirely the same, I cannot get any torrents / emails / IE or anything working, even after disabling all firewalls (software based) and antivirus etc.

And its not just my PC, its everything in the house that uses the internet and I know alot of people say this, but nothing has changed since I was last using it, i'm 100% sure of that.

The only thing that might help I suppose is unplugging the router for a couple of hours, to see what happens, but that seems to be a bad solution if it works and not very convenient!

I'll ring the wife now and get her to unplug it anyhoo, and see what happens when i get home!

Cheers,

Ben.
      Mmmm... free goo...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      What does the router status page say? Are you getting an IP address? It doesn't look like it if none of your gizmos can connect. I think this probably confirms that it is not your PC settings that are faulty. Have you run the Sky Test, what error do you get? Are all the lights on the router as they should be?
      The strange thing is, I'm pretty sure I am getting an IP address (can't be 100% sure i'll have to check tonight, but then I can't post the answer! doh!)

All the lights are on fine, the Sky test has never worked for me tho? I've always had an error when I've tried to run that, what does it actually do? (Again without checking I couldn't tell you what error it comes up with until tonight... Which will actually be tomorrow!)
      Mmmm... free goo...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Tiff View Post
      So I'm guessing either my routers faulty or BT are big lyers and I have got a line fault somewhere...
      There's so many alternate explanations for this behaviour. Really, you shouldn't just assume that there's a line fault.

If your router is syncing with the exchange at anything higher than just a stupidly low speed, and if you're getting a good voice service, then really whatever the problem is, it's outside of the contractual relationship that exists between you and BT.

As for lying. Everyone lies. Sometimes it's a barefaced lie to get you off the phone because you're starting to annoy them. Sometimes it's not so much a lie as it is a deception - they're telling you something that they suppose to be the case (although it turns out not to be so) but are presenting it as a fact. British Gas, just a few minutes ago, sent someone to my house, just to tell me some lies and half-truths. Everyone does it.

And in the same way that the word "quite" has changed from meaning "very" to meaning "moderately" as a result of misuse over the centuries, a few years from now, the Oxford English Dictionary will have a little entry under the verb "call" saying…
      I'll call you back later - an instruction to contact the caller later because they actually have no intention of calling you.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      There's so many alternate explanations for this behaviour. Really, you shouldn't just assume that there's a line fault.

If your router is syncing with the exchange at anything higher than just a stupidly low speed, and if you're getting a good voice service, then really whatever the problem is, it's outside of the contractual relationship that exists between you and BT.

As for lying. Everyone lies. Sometimes it's a barefaced lie to get you off the phone because you're starting to annoy them. Sometimes it's not so much a lie as it is a deception - they're telling you something that they suppose to be the case (although it turns out not to be so) but are presenting it as a fact. British Gas, just a few minutes ago, sent someone to my house, just to tell me some lies and half-truths. Everyone does it.

And in the same way that the word "quite" has changed from meaning "very" to meaning "moderately" as a result of misuse over the centuries, a few years from now, the Oxford English Dictionary will have a little entry under the verb "call" saying…
      Alright, I'm not actually calling them lyers in a vindictive way it was a figure of speach for the threads title.

As in, I know that most of the tech heads on here that kindly give up there time and help people on this site would usually know a little bit more on this subject than the first person you speak to on the BT helpline.

So I thought there maybe a slight possibility that BT wasn't giving me the full truth as they are only interested in my phone line and by describing my problem here someone may know a possible cause for it.

And if maybe somebody on here diagnosed that it was possibly BT's line at fault, then I could take it further with them and get to the bottom of it.

In that case then BT wouldn't have been telling me the 'whole truth'.

the 'BT big lyers' part in the title was tongue in cheek, sorry if it caused any offence.

It could have been quite a long thread title though.

Maybe it's just a faulty router? maybe it's a little mexican gerbil nibbling on my wires? who knows!
      Last edited by Ben Tiff; 15-10-07 at 03:57 PM.
      Mmmm... free goo...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Don't worry, I'm not taking offence on behalf of BT. They're just as bad as Sky, if not worse.

Hmmm, it's a bit hard to know what to suggest, since when you're on the Internet, you're not at home, and when you're at home, you're not on the Net.

Have you got a Flash Drive with you at the moment - you know, one of those little thingies you stick into a USB port? If you have, then you could go to the Mognuts page at Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 and then save the page onto your flash drive. (Erm, File->Save Page As, or something like that). Then you can load the page off your flash drive when you get home and you'll be able to get the full stats. That would be a start, at least.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing but my usb keys at home!

I'm gonna have to have a go at ringing sky again tonight, then if no luck whip round to a friends tonight to get the util and see whats happening...
      Mmmm... free goo...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast