Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sky/UKONLINE = Worst ISP I have found!

This is a discussion on Sky/UKONLINE = Worst ISP I have found! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sadly not true. Sky force you to use their router, with its flawed firmware. People talk about capping as if ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky/UKONLINE = Worst ISP I have found!

Sadly not true. Sky force you to use their router, with its flawed firmware. People talk about capping as if it's a normal part of ADSL operation, but it isn't. The router syncs at a speed which gives a SNR margin of about 6.9db which should give enough "headroom" for the error handling software to cope with the noise, but it doesn't appear to do so. Capping is simply a way of forcing the router to negotiate a speed where the SNR margin is higher than 6.9db, and it's done as a workaround for this bug.

Any other ISP, and you'd be able to chose a different router - one that works properly.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

He has already tried a different router and it made little difference. In this case I think it is the line to blame, with an attenuation of 59db, there is no way he is going to get any great speed, no matter what router he uses. This is another case of Sky selling Max to a user whose line has no chance of supporting any kind of speed.

If they were to cap my line, I would have like 1Mb internet, and if they say that I need it capped, I will request to cancel
      You may be lucky there, anyone joining before August ?, can ask for their contract to be terminated, without penalty, due to changes in the T & Cs. It may be your best course of action.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I don't think they're complaining about sync speed, they're complaining about performance, and that seems to suggest the "overwhelmed by errors" problem. They have tried another router, but what type of router is it? When was it last reflashed? If it's a Broadcom-based router (and they are very common) that hasn't be reflashed in the last 12 months, it's going to experience the same problem connecting to one of Sky's Globespan DSLAMs as the Sky router.

Moving to a different ISP will mean that are connected to a nice Alcatel DSLAM which by all accounts show a much greater degree of compatibility with end-user equipment, plus they'll be able to reflash their router or even buy a newer one.

Thanks

Yes, that's why I suggest he uses the 'get out' to move, if he is only going to be stable at 1mb. Remember the days when we first got lightning fast 512kbs, it was so much faster than dial-up that it was hardly believable. Now-a -days double that speed just does not cut it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Oh I remember all right. I cried my eyes out when I had to send my frog back to BT:

Mind you, it was the kind of crying you get when you're having bouts of hysterical laughter. What on earth ever happened to all those USB modems?

Thanks

I used to use mine to check my connection to Sky, it actually worked. Now I have upgraded to Vista it doesn't, so it just sits on my desk and looks at me mournfully.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

No fair.

How did you manage to keep yours? BT sent me a grey, pre-addressed plastic bag and told me I had to give them their modem back.

I'll have to see if I can get one on eBay or something. So every time my Sky connection starts playing up, I can look across at my frog and remember that however bad things get, things aren't as bad as they used to be…

Thanks

I bought mine on eBay, originally to back up the Solwise router I used with Plusnet. Never been with BT Broadband, had their dial up, then moved to +net for Broadband.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have still got mine somewhere as BT never requested that I send it back. I hardly used it though as I brought a router to use instead.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT requested mine back - and the 30 odd I used to maintain for my old company - we didn't send any of them back, and never heard from BT about it again.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast