Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noise Margin Query

This is a discussion on Noise Margin Query within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok after taking out ringwire on me main socket the other night and got speed increase of 1.5mb i now ...

Mat28 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Radstock
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Noise Margin Query

Ok after taking out ringwire on me main socket the other night and got speed increase of 1.5mb i now have 5.6 mb downstream.So tonight i thought i should do the extension socket so i took ringwire out and checked that fone still rung which it did.So i put it all back together and my noise margin dosent go below 6.7 now and when it hits this it goes back up to a max of 7.3.Here are a few of me stats i wanna no if this seems good

adsl downstream speed 4567kbps usually its around 5694 kbps during the day
      upstream 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 DB & upstream 31.0 DB
      Noise Margin 7.0 db & upstream 14

Do these stats sound ok cause i did have noise margin dropping to 5.0 beforehand and causing router to lose connection.Although briefly and not often.So far noise aint dropped below 6.7.I dont know weather thats good or not being a newbie anorl

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Noise Margin Query

Taking out the ring wire is often the easiest way to improve a connection, which you have proved. You will not get much better with your attenuation. If you are using an extension to connect the router, you may get a slight improvement using the Master socket, but whether it is worth the inconvenience is up to you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Mat28 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Radstock
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thx for the reply.Im happy how its all going now and wont mess about with it anymore. Im getting just short of 6mb bb now.That im happy with considering this time last week i only had 3.7mb.Improved my connection no end i just removed ringwire on extension socket to see if it made different to my noise margin which kept dropping and causin me broadband to drop.Since last night it aint been any lower than 7.0DB and increases to 8.3 DB at times.This is better than before i took ringwire out where noise margin dropped over time to 5.0 DB or less and me connection dropped.So far so good
      Last edited by Mat28; 13-10-07 at 12:25 PM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The microfilters ignore the ring wire input anyway, and recreate the ring signal themselves. So the ring wire really does serve no purpose whatsoever other than to introduce interference.

If your extension cabling goes right inside the master socket box (as opposed to extension cabling that uses a little adaptor thingie that plugs into the master socket), you could try disconnecting the ring wire at that end as well.